The Intention Experiment

The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World by Lynne McTaggart (c) 2007, 2008

If the boundaries between philosophy and science don't interest you, don't read this book. Matter of fact, you most likely won't want to read this thread...

Experiment after experiment and study after study show the improbable (some would even say impossible) actually occurring, and when correlations are available, explanations (or speculations) about WHY certain things might happen.

If you continue, you'll find bullet points on each chapter with the occasional paragraph quoted here and there. I may even throw some of my own commentary in once in a while... though I'll try not to. ;-)

Science is a method whereby our curiosity of the universe evolves. Religion is a method which allows our view of the universe to remain stable. People who need explanations tend toward the former while people who need stability tend toward the latter. Oops. Already slipping.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Mutable Matter

  • Quantum entanglement is well known between subatomic particles but is not limited to the subatomic world. It's been demonstrated with atoms themselves... with matter large enough to hold in your hand. Matter can be affected by nonlocal influence.

  • Speed of light is not the limit of nonlocality phenomenon.

  • Nearly all quantum interactions produce entanglement.

  • At absolute zero, where all movement should stop, and energy should not exist, it does. Described as Zero Point Energy, or the Zero Point Field. This energy exceeds the amount of energy in matter by a factor of 10^40. The amount of energy in one cubic meter of space is enough to boil all the oceans of the world.

  • Zero Point energy is responsible for inertia and gravity.

  • Interferometer experiments show that particles of matter also exhibit wave behavior, as photons do, passing through both slits simultaneously.

"But to me, Ghosh's research, and Zeilinger's work on the double-slit experiment represent two defining moments in modern physics. Ghoshi's experiments show that an invisible connection exists between the fundamental elements of matter, which is often so strong that it can override classical methods of influence, such as heat or a push. Zeilinger's work demonstrated something even more astonishing. Large matter was neither something solid and stable nor something that necessarily behaved according to Newtonian rules. Molecules needed some other influence to settle them into a completed state of being." "Theirs was the first evidence that the peculiar properties of quantum physics occur not simply at the quantum level with subatomic particles, but also in the world of visible matter. Molecules also exist in a state of pure potential, not a final actuality..."

If you're not aware of the weirdness of interferometers, here's a pretty good demonstration of the "traditional" explanation:

(9 MB)
(27 MB)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

If you're quivering , you're a particle . -- Snag Learning keeps you young !

Reply to
Snag

However if you oscillate you are a wave.

If you're unsure you vacillate.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Human Antenna

  • EEG shows an effect when healers send healing energy.

  • Directed thoughts produce physical energy even over distance.

  • Energy created by directed thought produces changes in water similar to that produced by magnets.

  • Meditation produced changes in water of the absorbance of certain wavelengths of light.

  • Healers exhibit electrostatic and magnetic phenomenon during healing, but the healing energy is neither.

  • All living things emit highly coherent photons, "biophoton emissions."

  • Healers also have stronger biophoton emissions during healing sessions, among the most organized light waves found in nature.

"... Directed intention appears to manifest itself as both electrical and magnetic energy and to produce an ordered stream of photons, visible and measurable... like a laser light..."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I thought I had discovered something like this when I left the shielding off a femtoammeter I had built and found it could detect the presence of some people at over 20', though not me sitting still in front of it.

Apparently the field they projected came from the plasma discharge current in the fluorescent lights and varied with the capacitance of their shoe soles, mine being thick foam rubber. The meter rejected power line harmonics but not the unrelated frequency of walking.

The strongest source was a rather large woman who perspired in her sensible black leather soled shoes. She was not a particularly willing subject for experimentation, so I programmed the machine to quietly record the signal level, and when unattended to greet anyone who approached.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oh that's a good one!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I see that you dusted the mothballs off your book. ;)

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He could just be oscillating...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Well, no wonder. If I had an "I am femto" meter, it wouldn't detect me either! ;-)

Bet that had you scratching your head for at least a few minutes.

Greeting based on signal strength?

"Hi Jane, lovely shoes you're wearing today." "Hey John, where'd you get those loafers?" "Hey Jim, are you there? I can't quite see you."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

If I _dusted_ some napthalene off the book, it probably wouldn't have been in the form of balls, would it?

OHHH! Moth balls. Got it. ;-) But... how on earth would moth balls have ever gotten on the book to begin with?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Damn literalists.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

My feet were on the footrail of the lab stool rather than the concrete floor. It was meant to be a picoammeter but worked better than expected. We made Analog Devices' production test equipment and they sent us their best selected parts in return:

The noise level bounced in sync with their footsteps. You see the ceiling light signal when you touch a scope probe tip.

All sorts of stray signals appear when measuring tiny voltages and currents. The worst puzzler turned out to be microphonics in the instrument side panels caused by the ultrasonic intruder alarm system we didn't even know we had. It was well above the circuit's frequency response and caused a slowly varying offset in op amps, as did a local AM radio station. I cross-creased the panels to stiffen them and it went away.

The point is that "bioemissions" can really be other things. The ultrasonic alarm interference changed as people moved around.

It was generic, testing would have revealed the joke. I was trying to keep up with the other engineers' pranks, one had written The Grinch That Eats Programs which randomly blanked the characters on your terminal. His second version made them fall to the bottom of the screen instead. Another's screen would flash "THE END IS NEAR!" in big letters as the screensaver. A frustrated programmer put the sarcastic software manager's home phone number in the last step of the troubleshooting tree, and these semiconductor testing machines went to distant time zones. Those were the clean ones.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You use paradichlorobenzene mothballs for books.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Two-Way Street

  • plants respond to a person's thoughts

"... it was obvious to [Backster] that he needed to pose an immediate and genuine threat; he would get a match and burn the eletroded leaf." "At the very moment he had that thought, the recording pen swung to the top of the polygraph chart and nearly jumped off. He had not burned the leaf; he had only _thought_ about doing so..."

  • plants register the violent deaths of brine shrimp and even bacteria

  • cells removed from the human body react in concert with the host

  • plants become acclimated to threatening thoughts. They "learn" not to react after multiple threatening thoughts are not carried out.

  • biophoton emissions are used for communication

  • healers' intention can affect leaves' biophoton emissions.

"Some forty years after Backster first employed his crude polygraph mechanism to register the effects of thoughts, Korotkov verified those early discoveries with state-of-the-art equipment. He hooked up a potted plant to his GDV machine and asked his researchers to think of different emotions -- anger, sadness, joy -- and then positive and negative intentions toward the plant. Whenever a participant mentally threatened the plant, its energy field diminished. The opposite occurred if people approached the plant with water or feelings of love."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Yup, that's why all the experiments looking for electrostatic and/or magnetic effects are carried out in Faraday rooms/cages.

Well... what's the point of a joke if nobody realizes it's a joke?

All very obvious jokes.

Not so much a joke as a "Gotcha."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Sigh yourself.

"Naphthalene, also known as naphthalin, bicyclo[4.4.0]deca-1,3,5,7,9-pentene or antimite is a crystalline, aromatic, white, solid hydrocarbon with formula C10H8 and the structure of two fused benzene rings. It is best known as the traditional, primary ingredient of mothballs." ^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Rich Grise

I showed how approaching the plant could increase the signal whether thinking about love or lunch. My limited contact with psychics, Wiccans and earth mother types (at rural NH Mensa parties etc) suggests that they question only that which doesn't support whatever they want to believe. Usually I look sympathetic and try to get the full story out of them.

I take Houdini's approach to paranormal phenomena, not denying anything but looking very hard at the evidence for intentional or inadvertent errors.

In this case I'd be monitoring the plant with a gas chromatograph rather than a lie detector.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

?There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.? --- Herbert Spencer

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[restored text] "... it was obvious to [Backster] that he needed to pose an immediate and genuine threat; he would get a match and burn the eletroded leaf." "At the very moment he had that thought, the recording pen swung to the top of the polygraph chart and nearly jumped off. He had not burned the leaf; he had only _thought_ about doing so..." 1) There was no mention of "approaching." 2) Think of water. No reaction. Then, think of a match under the leaf. Massive reaction. This was the reported result of the "lie detector." 3) There was of course much follow-up with controls and rigorous prevention of confounding factors. 4) I can't believe you try to infer the entire scope of the experiment or the methodology from such a tiny excerpt. If you want that, you'll have to get the book and/or do some googling. 5) I'd like to see your results on such an experiment. The rest of us would still have to take your results on faith, but at least YOU would have something more than the mere word of earth mother scientists.

The part you snipped and replied to was clearly not about a lie detector, but 40 years later with a GDV. Did Houdini have anything to say about disingenuousness?

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I was watching some Native American Medicine videos today (via Netflix) and picked up this same concept there. Google "Kirlian photography" for proof of the human/plant interaction phenomenon.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques