Penny for your Thoughts

Actually I am in need of a model that I can put into an assembly that is
simply there to get a visual comparison of the size of another part. I was
thinking of using a coin such as a penny or something. Does anyone know
where I can get a good coin model (American) with at least some of the face
detail?
If anyone else has ever had a need to do this, what are you using for a
visual comparison? I am open to suggestions. It does NOT have to be a
coin.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
What version are you using? How do you plan on showing the comparison?
In 2004 you could scan a coin and attach it to the top surface of a cylinder. The biggest down side is it will not print. It's only visual for Solidworks and photoworks.
Maybe you could trace over the top face, eagle or building and extrude that sketch from the surface for printer output.
Just my 1¢
Keith
Reply to
Keith Streich
Don't forget - Copying currency is a criminal act!
Don't be surprised if after you've modelled it the FBI come crashing in through the window ;)
D'oh!
I do need to get it to print.
Not a bad idea. I may try that.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
Oh my! I had not thought of that. You are very correct... But does that mean that if you take a picture of a coin with your digital camera that you could get arrested?!?!
Maybe a coin is not such a good idea. Too much of a grey area! Anyone got another idea for a common small object to do what I need here? I thought of a paper clip, but there are too many sizes. It needs to be something consistent in size and known by basically everyone. That is why I thought a coin would be good.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
First of all, see here - for more info. If you don't try to make an exact replica and then pass it off as genuine (for commerce, coin collecting, etc.) you should be okay. I wouldn't think the government would try to take you down for mocking up a penny.
Second, you could model up a postage stamp or a tape measure or a scale. How about a ladybug or other small creature?
Deb
Reply to
Deb Dowding
Sounds like you require something small. How about a fly? Farley consistent no matter what species. A wood #2 pencil has been used a lot and is easy to model. A tack or color molded pin cushion? Stick of Wrigley's gum? Sugar cube. A Secure Digital card? What are you placing it next to? Pick something in the industry which relates.
Keith
comparison?
Reply to
Keith Streich
How about a Canadain dime? At least if the Mounties come for you, you will have a colorful story to tell at parties.
He doesn't do it any more, but back when my father
needed to show a scale reference in photographs of his sculptures, he put an egg next to it. Eggs are kind of elegant looking, at least next to sculpture, and they are uniform 'enough' in size that anyone will get it. On the flip side, an egg might look flaky next to a machine design.
Of course, the best scale reference is a person or a body part of a person. Extra benefit- human forms also tends to draw in the attention of an audience. Try Body works and Handy Works at
or make your own (I used to just put in 'cardboard cutouts' of people with poeple photos mapped onto them - worked very well)
message
Reply to
Edward T Eaton
Thumb tack is easy to draw and universal, also
Coffee cup Mouse Phone BIC pen Wedding Band Post It note Keys
Many more.
Corey
message
Reply to
Corey Scheich
I've used a tool suite called Booster from Maxxsoft
. One of the tools is a scale that appear on the screen and changes with zoom level. The other tools are also quite useful.
JJ
Reply to
JJ
Of course, everyone in the US knows that the standard of measure is the football field, as in "Oh, it was about 3 football fields long." :-)
WT
comparison?
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
This website has a penny model...for a price:
The other good idea I've seen mentioned here is a key: easy to model, recognizable, small, consistent size.
Rick
Reply to
Rick Sink
Thanks Rick. Yes, I think that I have decided on a key as well. I can probably find one already modeled somewhere.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in news:c4hhhi$2i7hqk$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-201804.news.uni-berlin.de:
Do they use Cricket pitches in the UK?
Reply to
Dale Dunn
If it's for the American Market, try a Magnum 45 gun, if for the British market use a Salmon and cucumber sandwich, lol.
:)
Reply to
Pete Newbie
How about the Front of your Solidworks CD? I think its only illegal to 'copy' the back
Reply to
rocheey
How about the Front of your Solidworks CD? I think its only illegal to 'copy' the back
Reply to
rocheey
I would use a very standard plastic pen if that's the sort of scale you need. Like one of those ubiquitous Papermate Stick Pens or something. Scan the white printing off it, and add it as a decal. Simple realism, quickly modeled. The devil's in the details. Sometimes the surrounding parts you make really add the extra "pop" necessary for a scene.
Jeff Mowry Industrial Designhaus, LLC
(Remove "GETRIDOFTHIS" from email address)
Seth Renigar wrote:
Reply to
Jeff Mowry
How about a 6" scale. ( or, as a non machinist would say "ruler" )
M.T.
Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt
I have a 50p model that I got off the web from somewhere - As a bonus 50p pieces ( 7 sided coin) come in two sizes, so clients can decide whether they want the model in 'regular' or 'extra - large ' size and i don't have to do any extra work but can bill them twice !!
Brilliant!
Jonathan Stedman
Reply to
jjs