Re: 2D and 3D FEA

Thanks for all that info, it helped me a great deal. After talking to my VAR, it seems COSMOS/M can do non-linear surface-to-surface contact simulations, so i'll be exploring that soon, as well as maybe the next version of COSMOSWorks, which will apparently incorporate non-linear simulations. I've also been in contact with Ansys and they say it's no problem (i've seen ansys in action at the local university, they have a bunch of educational licenses). Seems like things are on track for me, thanks.

Andre Richard

> Thanks everyone, those are all good suggestions, but i'm wondering if > > it can really help me in my case. Here's an image of the process: > > > > http://24.230.198.245/Forming.jpg> > > > The sheet gets pressed about 1/2" or so in the "Depth", then released, > > the sheet advances about 2 inches, and is then pressed to the same > > Depth again. I would like to be able to compare a typical situation we > > do often, with variations in Depth, Thickness, Distance, Material, > > even if for only one "hit" (i can only imagine what kind of processing > > would be required to analyze the whole process of hitting it about 75 > > times). Note that the "Z" direction of my drawing would be uniform > > (usually about a 3 foot wide strip is pressed at a time, for lengths > > varying from 3 feet to 15 feet). It's sort of an "iterative" roll > > forming process. I hope this helps in understanding my situation. > > Andre, > > This is some pretty heavy duty FEA. You'll need non-linear materials and > large deformation. If the punch moves very far, you'll probably need code > that remeshes the plate. I suspect that you should hire a consultant to do > it, as there will be a pretty steep learning curve for you to get up. If you > need to do this a lot and want to have the capability in-house, then expect > to pay quite a bit for the code, quite a bit for a really powerful computer > to run it, and plan on quite a lot of time to run the analyses. And plan on > quite a bit of time choosing the code you want. > > As far as codes go, Abaqus specializes in this type of analysis. Nastran, > LS-Dyna, and Ansys are also possibilities. At the low-cost end of the > spectrum, Algor is supposed to be able to handle these types of problems, > but I don't know how well it really works. > > > Jerry Steiger > Tripod Data Systems > "take the garbage out, dear"
Reply to
Andr? Richard

Andre,

I just read the following article that you might find interesting. I hope the link works OK.

It doesn't sound like the ESI software is set up to do exactly what you want to do, but it might be much easier to get where you want to go starting there than with Cosmos or Ansys. I have no idea how much it costs, how well it works, or anything about company.

If you continue looking at general purpose FEA, you might want to include NE/Nastran. It's gotten good press from some of the people in this group and during our evalutation we preferred it to Cosmos, although we eventually went with Ansys.

Jerry Steiger