2D to 3D

Hi all. I have a question regarding some client work I may potentially be doing. I have someone who wants to have a bunch of hand drawn
sketches put into AutoCAD and I may be doing this work for him. It is for a machine he has a patent on and I will provide him with some plan views, elevations, sections and details of this machine. At a later date, he is thinking he would like to have these 2D drawings made into 3D. I don't do 3D work so I can't help him with this, but the question I have is how difficult (or easy) would it be for someone proficient in 3D modeling to take one of these 2D AutoCAD drawings and make it 3D. What software would be used to achieve this?
Thanks, Billy
How are we supposed to qualify a response to this question?
It would be easy (or difficult) using AutoCAD or some other more/less appropriate 3D modelling software.

I simply want to be able to give my client a valid response as to whether or not he will be able to turn my drawings into 3D at a later date. He will be wanting to know if it will be a simple, inexpensive, relatively quick procedure to do later on, versus spending the money right now and just getting them drawn in 3D to begin with.
Thanks
I would assume that your client wants the 2D drawings for future production of the machine and components. If so, then do them.
For the 3D work, accurate 2D drawings would help, of course. Some who do 3D like to do it from scratch,, as it were, but they still need to have the dimensions to work with.
The cost will depend on the complexity of the desired outcome, such as "Just overall 3D views" or complex cut-aways showing mechanical details.
Really, it's a 3D man he needs to talk to, with the details of what he wants.
Brian.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Sombra) wrote:

AUTOCAD HAS 3D MODEL ABILITY. YOU CAN GET BOOKS ON 3D MODELING, FIND A COMPREHENSIVE TEXT BOOK AND YOU CAN LEARN A LOT.
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS A MECHANICAL ENGINEER AND USES A PROGRAM CALLED SOLID WORK HE LIKES IT BECAUSE YOU CAN CREATE MECHANICAL
ASSEMBLIES WITH MOVING PARTS.
E-MAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME EXAMPLES OF 3D MODELS I USE 3D SOLIDS FOR COMPLICATE ROOF SYSTEMS.
PAT

Contact http://www.innovate3d.com that's exactly what they do

Autocad will do most 3d models. Inventor or solidworks will do more complex ones.
Bob

Some fairly inexpensive software to help draw 3D in AutoCAD can be found here:
http://www.autosolids.com/products.htm
Bill DeShawn http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn