Anyone used the Velleman K8055 USB experiment

Anyone used the Velleman K8055 USB experiment interface board?
I have been trying to figure out how to interface my robot base and robot brain (laptop) and the
only thing on offer I could find in Australia was the K8055 usb experiment interface board.
Previously I used the parallel port but my current computer only has usb ports.
I have experience in soldering up such kits but for some reason the test software that comes with the kit fails to find the card.
I am using Windows Vista.
John
I have used phidgets that work well . http://ozziesim.com.au/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId
Randy
casey wrote:

The demo code now works (bent pin on ic).
Has anyone used this board with their own c code?
John

Ah, that's will do it! Good thing it was something simple like that vs the more nasty problems like a burned out IC from some silly wiring mistake...

Not I.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /

The card now works ok with the demo software. The problem was a bent ic pin.
My next problem is how to use the dll to access the card from plain C programs written with DevCpp.
I have not used dll's and the teach yourself C books I have never covered the topic.
John
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:44:51 -0700 (PDT), casey

That points up the fact that if one is not an experienced programmer, then stay away from boards that can only be accessed via dll calls. Look for serial port based boards, either ones that can be used with a USB to serial adapter, or ones that are USB but appear as a virtural serial port. Programming is very easy using many different programming applications.
On May 9, 9:18am, shb*NO* snipped-for-privacy@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote:

My computer does not have a serial connection. It is not that I haven't done a lot of programming I just haven't learned the use of dll's because I haven't had any call for them in the past. As it turns out I am now using two dlls with success for a usb webcam and the above usb based K8055 card. All I needed was some example code on how it was done.
JC