Slowing my lathe

[snip]

I'm not afraid of making parts, especially not a key.

While I'm shopping, I may as well see if I can find something that fits as exactly as possible. Certainly there are lots of trade-offs for things like cost, location, speed of solution, etc.

I only mentioned the key because I thought it was odd that it didn't seem to be any kind of standard size, either english or metric.

I'm getting some good advice here, and I appreciate that, but please don't read in that I am looking for some exact plug-in solution.

-Rex

Reply to
xray

OK. I didn't mean anything negative. You're right, if you can spend 2 bucks on the exact item do that and spend the time making something you really want. Most of all, have fun! ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I may be late to this one but, I own a (dare I say it) Smithy 3in1. They sell a planetary style pulley for their Midas machine that will take the spindle speed down from 160rpm to

80rpm's. I've looked for this planetary pulley elsewhere and not been able to find anything quite like it. I know the design is simple enough. It's three planatary gears around a pinion nestled inside an out ring gear pressed into a belt pulley. It's bore is .625". Don't know if this helps or not.

Peace Neil

Reply to
Frantic3D

Like this?

Dave

So I went out locally today and got a motor. Pretty cheap, but at least somewhat used and .875 shaft, so I will need to do some adapting.

Having no VFD yet, can I do much checking to see if it is likely to run? Measure resistances or apply single phase power or ...?

Reply to
xray