small differential gear source?

I have a few projects in the queue that will need small differentials. Say something about the size of your fist would probably do. The sort of thing that could drive one of those electric kiddy cars. Or real small ATVs.

Been looking around on ebay but so far no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, DOC

Reply to
doc

Something like this?

Tod

Reply to
Tod

Boston Gear catalog? Grainger or McMaster Carr?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl Boyd

Go see your local lawnmower repair shop and ask to look at his junk riding mowers.

Reply to
Gerry

According to :

Have you checked with PIC? Theirs may be even smaller than what you want. They make all kinds of precision gearing, and I remember seeing differentials in their catalog last time I had one.

Hmm ... are there differentials in riding lawnmowers? That might be of the size you need, if so.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Depending what you want, you can make a "differential" out of only spur gears. This can take up very little space, & you may have spur gears in the junk box.

Reply to
David R Brooks

Sterling Instruments

Don Foreman

Hey Doc, I also am looking for a small diff. about the size you mention. I have been through all the sources mentioned here but no luck.

Have you found anything yet?

Cheers,

Jacques

Reply to
Jaco

I have a bunch of small differentials from Arch Instrument, North Quincy, Massachusetts. Some are straight gears, some bevel gears, some spiral bevel gears. All are quite a bit smaller than what you seem to be looking for, but they may make larger ones. Suspect they are pretty expensive, though.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I have a few softball sized diffs from "deluxe" snow throwers and cheap riding tractors. Ariens, Canadiana, and many other models used them. Can't remember the maunufacturer.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Might or might not be what you're looking for, but try this:

Or this equivalent:
Hope it helps

Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb

Peerless See

clare at snyder.on.ca

Snapper self-propelled mowers have a nice small unit, even has a belt- drive. Not for go kart speeds, though, or moving much beyond a 100 lbs or so. Check your local dealer's junk pile.

Stan

Reply to
stans4