small differential gear source?

I have a few projects in the queue that will need small differentials. Say something about the size of your fist would probably do. The sort
of thing that could drive one of those electric kiddy cars. Or real small ATVs.
Been looking around on ebay but so far no luck.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, DOC
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Something like this? http://tinyurl.com/2zw63k
Tod

Boston Gear catalog? Grainger or McMaster Carr?
On Oct 20, 5:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Go see your local lawnmower repair shop and ask to look at his junk riding mowers.

    Have you checked with PIC? Theirs may be even smaller than what you want. They make all kinds of precision gearing, and I remember seeing differentials in their catalog last time I had one.
    Hmm ... are there differentials in riding lawnmowers? That might be of the size you need, if so.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Depending what you want, you can make a "differential" out of only spur gears. This can take up very little space, & you may have spur gears in the junk box.
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:21:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Sterling Instruments https://sdp-si.com/D790/PDF/D790C09007.pdf
Hey Doc, I also am looking for a small diff. about the size you mention. I have been through all the sources mentioned here but no luck.
Have you found anything yet?
Cheers,
Jacques

snipped-for-privacy@lightmypump.com says...
Might or might not be what you're looking for, but try this:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrec&sort=1&search=axle&UID2007102918475733
Or this equivalent: http://tinyurl.com/ypog34
Hope it helps

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:56:10 -0400, Henry Q. Bibb

Peerless See http://www.tecumsehuk.co.uk/trans.htm

On Oct 20, 5:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

I have a bunch of small differentials from Arch Instrument, North Quincy, Massachusetts. Some are straight gears, some bevel gears, some spiral bevel gears. All are quite a bit smaller than what you seem to be looking for, but they may make larger ones. Suspect they are pretty expensive, though.
John Martin

I have a few softball sized diffs from "deluxe" snow throwers and cheap riding tractors. Ariens, Canadiana, and many other models used them. Can't remember the maunufacturer.

On Oct 20, 4:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

Snapper self-propelled mowers have a nice small unit, even has a belt- drive. Not for go kart speeds, though, or moving much beyond a 100 lbs or so. Check your local dealer's junk pile.
Stan