small differential gear source?

I have a few projects in the queue that will need small differentials.
Say something about the size of your fist would probably do. The sort
of thing
that could drive one of those electric kiddy cars. Or real small
ATVs.
Been looking around on ebay but so far no luck.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DOC
Reply to
doc
Something like this?
Tod
Reply to
Tod
Boston Gear catalog? Grainger or McMaster Carr?
Reply to
Dave Hinz
Carl Boyd
Reply to
Carl Boyd
Go see your local lawnmower repair shop and ask to look at his junk riding mowers.
Reply to
Gerry
According to :
Have you checked with PIC? Theirs may be even smaller than what you want. They make all kinds of precision gearing, and I remember seeing differentials in their catalog last time I had one.
Hmm ... are there differentials in riding lawnmowers? That might be of the size you need, if so.
Good Luck, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Depending what you want, you can make a "differential" out of only spur gears. This can take up very little space, & you may have spur gears in the junk box.
Reply to
David R Brooks
Sterling Instruments
Don Foreman
Hey Doc, I also am looking for a small diff. about the size you mention. I have been through all the sources mentioned here but no luck.
Have you found anything yet?
Cheers,
Jacques
Reply to
Jaco
I have a bunch of small differentials from Arch Instrument, North Quincy, Massachusetts. Some are straight gears, some bevel gears, some spiral bevel gears. All are quite a bit smaller than what you seem to be looking for, but they may make larger ones. Suspect they are pretty expensive, though.
John Martin
Reply to
John Martin
I have a few softball sized diffs from "deluxe" snow throwers and cheap riding tractors. Ariens, Canadiana, and many other models used them. Can't remember the maunufacturer.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca
Might or might not be what you're looking for, but try this:
Or this equivalent:
Hope it helps
Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb
Peerless See
clare at snyder.on.ca
Snapper self-propelled mowers have a nice small unit, even has a belt- drive. Not for go kart speeds, though, or moving much beyond a 100 lbs or so. Check your local dealer's junk pile.
Stan
Reply to
stans4