Gloat: Powermatic Drill Press

I scored a vintage Powermatic 1150 variable speed drill press today. I have been looking for one of these for a long time, but the prices have been outrageous. This one works fine but looks like shit, so it is going to need some TLC and paint to get the cosmetics up to par.

Does anyone know where I might find a manual or exploded diagram of the parts? Also how does one get the blasted chuck off the spindle?

Any one want to buy the 2 ChiCom drill presses it is going to replace? ;^)

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

I have the same thing, see

see webpage above. It has PDF manuals.

Sorry.,..

How much did you pay for yours?

Ignoramus24273

Thanks Iggy

I downloaded the manuals. Mine is a 1969 model. I paid $200 for it.

It looks like we have similar chuck set ups. I seem to have more space between the chuck and the threaded ring with the spanner holes. The threaded ring runs out of thread before it impinges on the chuck. I guess I will have to make some sort of spacer to bridge the gap. I sure wish it had the 2MT with the drift hole. I have a bunch of drill bits with 2mt tops.

Jay

Ignoramus24273 wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Some a-holes are selling this manual on eBay (in electronic form).

I listed it as a free download, and paid auction fees, just so that people could download it for free.

You got a great price, post come pictures! What are your speeds? (motor speed).

Ignoramus24273

Iggy,

I saw that manual on EBay in my search. I already got burnt once on a Belsaw planer manual that I bought for 30 bucks; only to find out later that the same manual was a free download from the Belsaw site.

The motor is 1725 rpm so the speed range is 425-4800 rpm. It is a little

fast for metal working.

I tore it all down today to clean it up and paint it, so it will be a while before pictures.

I am still having a hell of a time with the chuck. My quill does not match the manual. The chuck is a Jacobs on a 33 taper or at least that is what it says. It is really frozen on. I noticed a cross pin in the shaft and knocked it out. Big mistake. The chuck is on a very long pressed in internal shaft. So far, I have it about half way out. It is a long slow process. 8^(

It is all soaking in PB Blaster tonight. Getting that chuck off the smaller shaft is going to be a chore. (Nothing to grip)

Jay

Ignoramus24273 wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Glad you did not buy it.

It's not bad, I use this press and I am happy. When I find a suitable three phase motor with 56Z frame, I will do a VFD conversion.

Thats how it should be.

I did not try that, my chuck is fine. Good luck. Post some pix too.

Ignoramus15946

I am accepting any bona fide manuals and will place all of them on my site for free download. I want them indexable by google and to be available to anyone who searches for manuals. This especially applies to old machines and such.

Ignoramus15946

Example of such old auctions with free manuals is here

(archived copy)

Ignoramus15946

CLIP

CLIP

The drawings I have of the 1150 show a MT2 spindle... But it sounds like you mentioned having some other type of spindle...

I haven't looked at the manuals or any of the other files folks posted about the drill press yet... But I'm guessing that it might be a component that you can swap out?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill