Pinging Iggy- Powermatic

Iggy,

As I said earlier, here are the pictures of my Powermatic. It was a real mess when I got it. Hence the low price. It had multiple coats of green paint. Then some one trimmed it with bright yellow. To cap it off, someone then pored a can of blue paint on the top of it. So it was quite lovely. I completely disassembled it cleaned up all the paint off and many years of gradoo off of the variable speed assembly. I then painted it Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray. The quill stop was missing, so I built a new one. Now everything is ready to go and I have a nice piece of American Iron to contrast my other Chinese Iron. I love the fact that it has more than 6? of quill travel. So now I am debating whether to move to a 2hp 3 phase motor with VFD. That would make it perfect, but would eliminate my ability to move it around easily. The pictures are in the Drop Box under Jays Powermatic.

Enjoy

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

Jay Cups, your powermatic now looks picture perfect!!!

The color is lovely also.

As for adding a 2 HP 3 phase motor, 2 HP 3 phase motors in 56 frame are not easy to find, though I saw some. Just today I brought home two

56 frame 3 phase motors -- 3/4 HP and 1 HP -- and am also seriously considering just swapping the motor for the 3 phase one + VFD.

I do not think that it will hamper moveability of this drill press.

Ignoramus21991

Thanks Iggy,

No, the motor is currently 110VAC, so I can easily move it anywhere in the shop and even out in the driveway. If I go with 220 3 phase I am pretty much limited to where ever I run the 220. So if a 2hp 3 phase 56 frame pops into my life, I will make the switch. If not, I have a 20 inch Chinese DP that will go down to 160 RPM as a back up.

Jay

Ignoramus21991 wrote:

Reply to
JayCups