Small foundry greensand question

Ql: What is the AFS spec for measuring greensand strength?

Q2: Any suggestions how to construct a simple in-house test apparatus to measure greensand strength without buying expensive lab equipment?

TIA, Dave

Reply to
<fdander

FWIW non of the foundrys in this area take samples of their greensand and have it tetsed. If it rams up good, and does not wash out its sufficient. If not they add some more binder remull and go again. Its not rocket science. With a bit of experience one can readily tell if the greensand is going to work just by grabing a handfull of it and squeezing it.

IMHO a squeeze test as such is more than sufficient.

Perhaps some foundries in other areas may do these type of tests but I have never seen it done or heard of it.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

PSI.. no idea how they get consistent packing though...

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Its not hard to get consistent ramming if you have a sand that is consistent in its mix makeup. Most foundries today use pneumatic tampers or Jolters to ram a mold, even though there may still be some hand ramming its not as common as it used to be. Do it long enough you will get consistent ;-) For me the more I ram the weaker or less my sand is rammed.........

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

Re-reading my Petro-Bond data sheets from Bentonite Performance Minerals, they say minimum green strength 6.5 psi and maximum 12.0 psi, but no hint as to how to measure that property. I agree the hand squeeze test is pretty practical. Dave

Reply to
<fdander

Make a leetle box 2" square & 3 " long--You need a hinge on one corner & latches on the opposite corner. ram it fulla sand. remove box. place sand & bottom plate on bathroom scales, put the whole thing on your drill press table. --You did smooth off the top nice & flat didn't you? put a smooth plate of steel or wood on toppa it. Center your drill chuck( fingers retracted) on the pillar 0f sand---apply pressure while watching scales. --You should get 26 t0 50 pounds before it fails-- Should shear on a 45 deg angle + - ..

If this is too much trouble, just squeeze it > Re-reading my Petro-Bond data sheets from Bentonite Performance Minerals,

Reply to
Jerry Wass