Small VFD sources (USA)

Is automationdirect still the best bang for the overall functional buck in small VFDs? I'm fairly sure I heard of them here first from a happy customer.

I have a 3/4 Hp 3 phase motor and need a 1-in-3 out at either 115 or 230 in and 230 (or 460, but really...) out. Looking at 1 Hp drive units since 3/4 is an oddball and limits selection a lot. Leaning toward the GS2 series for a $41 differential over the GS1. Wood lathe variable speed drive is the application.

I'm guessing I really ($ouch) should spend nearly as much on line/load reactors ($61 & $62) as on the VFD itself ($136 or $177) to prevent polluting the power for everything else in the shop on the input side, and the waveform hitting the old Rockwell motor, which is happy to do 50 or 60 hz, but knows not of inverter drive as a motor spec. on the output side?

Some of the other accessories are pretty silly - $76 for a 200 ohm 80W resistor if I want braking - .vs. 6-12 bucks to make a 150-200W 200ohm resistor from 10 15 watt 20 ohm resistors, 4 50W 50 ohms, etc.

$26 for a "zero phase reactor" which looks suspiciously like a ferrite ring (got quite a few of those in stock) with mounting feet... etc.

I'm not trying to go regrettably cheap here, but I also am not looking to gild the lily. No particularly fancy programming anticipated. Might put a fixed-speed fan on the motor to make going slower safer, given that it's not inverter-rated and slow is the usual direction that needs help with a wood lathe and out of balance stock.

dealerselectric has some for a few bucks less ($118/131) but seems quite a bit sketchier on my gut reaction, and the drives a bit more cheap than the price differential, again, per gut.

ebay has various things in VFDs that also appear to upset my stomach, and don't cost much less with shipping. There might be reactors worth buying there, though.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Driveswarehouse.com is another option.

Reply to