-- Aerospace, military and medical applications are exempt from ROHS l..."/>

Solder question

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder regarding lead?
Steve
On 10/7/2011 11:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

There are billions of leaded solder joints on potable supply lines in the world. But...my blood/lead level is high, maybe I'm dismissive.
On 10/7/2011 8:36 PM, Steve B wrote:

if it worries you, use silver solder or use the no-lead solder now sold for plumbing
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:36:21 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I believe that if you use Plumber's solder (50-50) you're supposed to be OK -- but then, the rules have been a-changing, and wort is going to be more acidic than water.
What happens when you Google "food safe solder" or "potable solder"?
--
www.wescottdesign.com

The last time I bought solder from a home store, it was lead free, this was over 20 years ago. I don't think you can get leaded solder unless it's for electronic use. Even that has gone to RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) in electronic manufacture to non lead as pure tin. Ignator

Use lead-free silver-tin solder:
<http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixC.html
<http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-2.html
The google search string that yielded the above was "wort copper solder".
Joe Gwinn
Steve B wrote:

Just use lead free solder, lot's of it out there.
--
Steve W.

On 08-Oct-2011 10:14, Steve W. wrote:

In fact if you go looking, that is virtually all you will find.
The only applications for 60/40 or 50/50 in plumbing any more is for drains, and copper and wiped lead and such are rarely being repaired, just ripped out and replaced with plastic.
Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 20:36:21 -0700, "Steve B"

Yes, there would be a problem with food contact, since it's too easy to over do it and have big drips and runs of solder on the inside you can't see - but that's okay, when you go looking for plumbing solder it's ALL going to be lead-free now by law, mostly Tin with a little Silver alloyed in.
Even electronics is being forced to get rid of the lead. They're going to get burned with $1 Billion satellites dying and falling from the sky due to Tin Whiskers causing shorts on circuit boards, but the few Rocket Scientists can't out-shout the many Enviro-Nuts.
There is also Silver-Braze if you need to stay away from Tin too - that's mostly Copper and Silver. You need a little more heat, but MAPP and Air-Acetylene will get there for smaller sizes.
--<< Bruce >>--
"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

Aerospace, military and medical applications are exempt from ROHS lead free solder. They know that it's worthless shit, and that it will kill people in mission critical applications. It was the idea of idiot bureaucrats in Brussels with no science to back it up.

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:54:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Thank Lord for that. That lead-free stuff just does not flow nearly as well.
OTOH maybe I shall start hoarding just in case.
Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm down to about 5 pounds. I used to use that much a year. Now it's $30/Lb, and up for decent solder.

The problem is the heat increases the amount of lead dissolving in the brew. I remember as a kid in the early 50's my father explicitly telling me do not use the hot tap water for anything you eat or drink.
John
Steve B wrote:

john wrote:

Was the water distilled or acidic? If not, the minerals in the water build up a layer over the walls of the pipe that covered the solder and the copper. If it didn't, the water would dissolve not only the lead, but the copper pipe.