Solder question

Is there any danger in using solder on a copper tube that will be immersed in beer brew that will eventually be drunk? Special type of solder, maybe? Do they still use lead in solder? I know they surely use solder in drinking water copper tubing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You are good to go with the solder they use for copper pipe, no lead. Silver solder is another option.

Is there any danger in using solder on a copper tube that will be immersed in beer brew that will eventually be drunk? Special type of solder, maybe? Do they still use lead in solder? I know they surely use solder in drinking water copper tubing.

Steve

Reply to
Bob Noble

I'd go with the silver solder . Better safe than sorry ...

Reply to
Snag

Definitely don't use the old 50/50 tin lead solder. The beer will leach the lead out quickly. I'd be suspect of using the newer 'no lead' (95% tin + others) because of the beer chemistry. I'd use 'silfos', needs a MAPP torch to use.

Something to consider is putting the joints well outside the container.

All the real equipment is nothing but stainless steel Tig welded.

Reply to
RoyJ