Soldering Flux Paste Solvent

wrote:

You are removing zinc chloride and vaseline. Try brake cleaner to cut the vaseline. If it's real heavy, use gasoline or perhaps napththa for gross cleaning, then brake cleaner for the solvent stage. Then I'd use a good proprietary alkalai metal cleaner as from Birchwood Casey or Caswell, or make your own with TSP and sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide. Some add some sodium silicate but I don't think it's necessary. These steps should result in metal that is chemically and waterbreak clean, suitable for plating.
Since it's itty bitty, I'd at least try a run in my HF ultrasonic cleaner with their pretty good cleaning stuff heated to 160F or so. That doesn't always work but it gets 'er done surprisingly often.

Model airplane fuel tank, right? How about using some of your nitro/ alcohol fuel to clean the tank? That stuff is a mighty active solvent. Besides, anything the fuel doesn't remove isn't going to be a problem later.