Source for Zinc Ammonium Chloride?

Anyone know of a source for small quantities of zinc ammonium chloride?

I am having to occasionally do a little milling on these French boat anchors I sell. Seems the metric shackle holes are not quite large enough for US shackle pins. The anchor shanks are galvanized steel and really need to be regalvanized in the areas I have milled. I have gotten good results using a small zinc pot and had a very small supply of zinc ammonium chloride for flux that I begged off a real galvanizing shop but the flux has run out and I am hesitant to try to mooch some more. I have found sources for 50 pound bags but I just need 4 or 5 pounds.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Did you beg with cash in hand? You are going to have to pay for shipping if you find a vendor. I tried googling using various key words and -keywords and came up empty.

Along the way I bumped into

Don't know if this helps or not but I took a shot at it.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I would go back to the galvanizing shop but the first time it was just a hobby thing. Now I would be taking business away from them.

I can do the hardware store electroplating but these anchors are used in the ocean so I have been hot dipping them. Not complicated but it takes some serious chemicals. I just hope the EPA never visits. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Forgive the ignorance, Glenn, but is plain old killed spirits (ZnCl2 w/o the Ammonium) insufficient? I've always found it to be the bees-knees for fluxing prior to hot-dip galvanising. (Small mild steel pieces.)

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Pipe soldering flux from your favorite plumbing/hardware supply?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I will give that a try if I can't find the ammonium version. I have some pipe flux with zinc chloride but it is only 8%.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Don't forget, you can make your own (much stronger) by killing some hydrochloric acid with a handful of zinc. (I presume you have zinc lying around if you're galvanising stuff.) Otherwise use scrap galvanised steel.

Cheers

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Sigma/aldrich chemical, out of Milwaukee, I would expect, has this in a variety of grades. For what you're doing, a lower grade I would think might do it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Call Tri-Ess down in LA. They stock chemicals for all the movie house special effects, and yes, they'll ship. Don't have their number.

Oops! I'm out of date, they closed after 54 years in 2005. They do have a list of resources on their Web site still:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Seriously talk to your druggist!

Mine used to (when I was a kid) - order all sorts of chemicals for me.

Take a book that shows the use - or a page - or such - and plead to buy a Pound or 5 pound jar - or ... - see what they can do for you.

Alternate - Fence place - metal fence - might have some there.

Might talk to a Plant business - same issue - chemical order.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Ammonium Chloride (NH4CI), inorganic, colorless crystal component that is s oluble in water. It comes from the reaction of hydrochloric acid and ammoni a. The ammonium chloride is available in best quality and used in various m anufacturing industries. It is basically used in cleansing products, plywoo d glue, pyrotechnics, cough medicine, flavor food industries, shampoo, as e lectrolyte, as antispasmodic, as component in metalwork.

ratiram.kxi