steam cleaning

I'm in need of a small steam cleaner for grease/gunk removal on bunch of car parts that I cant remove to take to the pressure washer. Commercial units are way too expensive for me, so I'm considering building one. I need something that heats its own water, since my garage doesnt have a hot water supply.

I've seen a few pressure washer attachments that look like nothing more than a common oil burner pump/fan/ignitor centered within a coil of tubing through which pressurized water is passed. Seems simple enough, especially since I've got the pressure washer and burner pump kicking aorund.

Anyone build something like this? A 1500 psi coil of superheated water scares me.

Alternativly, how about a low pressure version? I have more than a few low pressure pumps (200psi) which I could pass through the same coil arrangement and then onto a commerical pressure washer "gun". A simple boiler type pressure release could be fitted for cheap money to keep things kinda safe.

Anyone try anything like this? Am I nuts? Anyone have a unit near boston they are willing to part with?

Vin

Reply to
vlocci

I build some parts for Steam Action. They build industrial carpet cleaners.

They use a combustion engine to drive the pump, and make a stainless steel heat exchanger to suck the heat off of the exhaust.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Dave

any idea what pressure they run?

Reply to
vlocci

Nope, sorry.

They use 3/8 Stainless steel for their heat exchangers, so I'm guessing it's pretty high.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I used to own a Landa hot water unit that went between a pressure washer and its hose. It was diesel-fired and worked just great. They're about $1000 normally.

You can rent steam cleaners.

The steam cops will get me for this one, BUT: if you have an outdoor turkey deep fryer setup (those are real cheap) then you should be able to score an old 5 gallon propane bottle, one of the nonOPD ones that are normally free now, and prepare it for reuse as I did, then put water in it and plumb your steam hose to the 3/4" NPT hole on top of the tank, then fire up your turkey burner until the water is boiling, and open the valve. If you're curious about how I prepare those tanks for reuse, see:

http://www.t> I'm in need of a small steam cleaner for grease/gunk removal on bunch

Reply to
Grant Erwin

If it were me, I'd add a popoff valve for safety.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Why not a 120 or 240 Volt hot water on demand unit. It senses flow - and heats that water. No tank.

I want to put one in the shop - a small one - for the restroom / shop sink.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to