Steel targets

Did some experimenting at the range with a 1/4" steel plate at 300 yards. The .30-06 blew through leaving a hole that looked like it was drilled with a very dull bit (significantly increasing my respect for WWI tankers). Even the .223 almost went through leaving a crater and a big nipple on the back. On the 1/2" plate the .30-06 left a big crater but didn't go through, bulge on the back. The steel is A36, left over from some CNC plasma cut sheets. Is there a way to harden this? Some of the target makers on the Net refer to AR500 steel but my local metal shops either don't know what it is or don't carry it.

Thanks. Steve.

Reply to
SRF

You can case-harden mild steels, yes, but don't cook them too long or the tougher section in the middle will be thin and the plate will become brittle. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to learn to pierce armor plating? To make plinking targets for .30-06 rounds?

Grant

SRF wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Trying to make a center fire version of those nice little rimfire targets that go "DING" when you hit them.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

I have always wondered about steel targets. Why aren't they considered dangerous? Isn't there a ricochet? Does the bullet disintegrate? If so, at what angle do they stop disintegrating and start ricocheting?

Reply to
Chief McGee

AR500 is IRRC also known as T-1 plate. Find an old rock crusher plant thats been gutted. the floor and side plates of the hopper are generally T1

Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Reply to
Gunner

They *can* be dangerous. I've shot at heavy steel targets at 25 yards and had a big chunk of flattened .45 jacket bounce of the wall next to me. Lesson learned was don't shoot at them with jacketed bullets, lead only unless they are at least 40 yards away. We also had a problem once at the range where some guys mounted the target on a small post driven into the ground. As they shot it, the post was getting tilted back. Our range has a huge amount of forest behind it but obviously this was a great way to launch bullets off the property. Don't know at what angle the bullets start flying up but I wouldn't think it would be much.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

||They *can* be dangerous. I've shot at heavy steel targets at 25 yards and ||had a big chunk of flattened .45 jacket bounce of the wall next to me. ||Lesson learned was don't shoot at them with jacketed bullets, lead only ||unless they are at least 40 yards away. We also had a problem once at the ||range where some guys mounted the target on a small post driven into the ||ground.

I thought steel sillouhettes were generally mounted on a hinge, so they fall back (away) when hit. That alone should prevent ricochets. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Don't know about any T1 designation, but it's a bear to grind to an edge if you use too little pressure on the 7-inch.

Making replica medieval weapons for a rennaisance faire merchant can get interesting when your stock work-hardens like AR500 does. (And you don't know it's AR500. -- Politely requested that the customer ask their steel supplier to change that.) :)

Plus side: I find it welds easily with FCAW and looks pretty nice once ground and polished.

Reply to
John Husvar

In my experience, high velocity bullets will disintegrate while slow ones (handgun calibres and blackpowder rifle loads) can bounce right back at you.

-- Aamund Breivik

Reply to
Åmund Breivik

This one hung from a cross bar.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

Again, OCLS comes to the rescue. Old Chevy Leaf Spring.

at 30 yards, .30-06 leaves a small divot on the front, slight spalling on the rear.

Back at a decent range, no effect, but spray paint shows up the hit nicely for non-falling/tipping targets

Now faster, zippier rounds drill thru, like .243 class or faster. But for non-steel core, sub 3000fps .30 cal class stuff, OSLS works well.

And that they are all over the place at junkyards- dirt cheap too.

YMMV, you'll put your eye out, etc,etc.

** mike **
Reply to
mike
[ ... ]

O.K. You've just used a term which I don't know. I've heard others, like "GTAW" (TIG, I think), and would like a comprehensive list which I can print out, with the more common term, and perhaps explanation of what the acronym expands to.

Thank you, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Correct. "Gas Tungsten Arc Welding". IIRC, FCAW is Flux Core Arc Welding.

Seems the standards people believe in, "Why be difficult if, with just a little more effort, you can be impossible?"

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Flux core arc welding. That got me thinking, I wonder if there's an acronym for dual shield.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4
[ ... ]

Thanks! Does anyone have a complete list of these? Or know where I could find one?

Kind of goes along with "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. :-)

Thanks again (and to others who replied.) DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols