I broke the biggest piece of steel ever!

One of my 20 ton presses is a straight-side and not an OBI. The bed will move up and down with a big screw and handwheel under the bed. Some time in
the past, the bed must not have been perpendicular with the ram and somebody shimmed the 2" thick x 30" x 24" bolster plate 3/16" on one side. The bolster plate has a 7" hole in the center for blanks and parts to drop through.
A set-up man was having a problem getting a die lined up and that's when we noticed the crack through the bolster plate running front to back right through the center. I'm sure it was the 3/16" of shim on one side and years and years of beating.
Now I have to see if I can get it welded and ground or do we make a new one? In any case, I WIN with the biggest piece of steel (cast steel) I ever broke! It was one of those "Holy Crap!" moments.
Libtardopia Lost wrote:

Sorry to hear its broke, But if it is steel, then it would have bent before it broke. My guess is its CAST iron. any welding will be a temportary fix for cast in a press situation. I suggest you think about getting one made out of steel, That should last the life of the press. Ted Dorset UK.

Good point! I "assumed"...and my favorite addage is "Never Assume".

or cast steel.
And yes..make a new one.
Gunner
--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't

I don't have tools big enough. And, the damn thing isn't square, the front has a big radius or an ellipse or some thing like that. Can't I just duct-tape it?

Duct tape..some wooden dowels..maybe some super glue?
Gunner
--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
?

Sounds like a job for thermite to me.
Best Regards Tom.

    JB Weld. "It will fix everything but a broken heart." Paul Harvey.

--
pyotr filipivich

JB Weld
Tom Gardner wrote:

I would have one burned out by my steel supply company. They can cut 6 inch plate with their ox acy cnc cutting system and hold better than 1/8 tol. There should be a supplier in your area with a good cutting system, If not Call Nivert metal in Scranton PA. to get one made.
John