I broke the biggest piece of steel ever!

One of my 20 ton presses is a straight-side and not an OBI. The bed will move up and down with a big screw and handwheel under the bed. Some time in the past, the bed must not have been perpendicular with the ram and somebody shimmed the 2" thick x 30" x 24" bolster plate 3/16" on one side. The bolster plate has a 7" hole in the center for blanks and parts to drop through.

A set-up man was having a problem getting a die lined up and that's when we noticed the crack through the bolster plate running front to back right through the center. I'm sure it was the 3/16" of shim on one side and years and years of beating.

Now I have to see if I can get it welded and ground or do we make a new one? In any case, I WIN with the biggest piece of steel (cast steel) I ever broke! It was one of those "Holy Crap!" moments.

Reply to
Libtardopia Lost

Sorry to hear its broke, But if it is steel, then it would have bent before it broke. My guess is its CAST iron. any welding will be a temportary fix for cast in a press situation. I suggest you think about getting one made out of steel, That should last the life of the press. Ted Dorset UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Good point! I "assumed"...and my favorite addage is "Never Assume".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

or cast steel.

And yes..make a new one.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I don't have tools big enough. And, the damn thing isn't square, the front has a big radius or an ellipse or some thing like that. Can't I just duct-tape it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Duct tape..some wooden dowels..maybe some super glue?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sounds like a job for thermite to me.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Gunner Asch on Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:20:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

JB Weld. "It will fix everything but a broken heart." Paul Harvey.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

JB Weld

Reply to
David Lesher

I would have one burned out by my steel supply company. They can cut 6 inch plate with their ox acy cnc cutting system and hold better than 1/8 tol. There should be a supplier in your area with a good cutting system, If not Call Nivert metal in Scranton PA. to get one made.

John

Reply to
John