Stick welding

You got an electric dryer or electric range, or electric water heater? If so, you go 220V. You can use an adapter plug, or get some handyman type electrician to wire you up an outlet at your breaker box.....Not that hard.....

Reply to
Michael

What is an AC-225?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

back in the '60's?

go home and open the gun cabinets.

to "voting from the rooftops"

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:27:19 GMT, vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well just don't drive for a week and you've saved up enough....

Reply to
Old Nick

This one...the same one the previous poster said was on sale at Home Depot for a couple hundred.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

It is an alternating current 225 amp welder. It uses alternating current to weld with, and it is used for thick materials. The rods you can run on AC are less than those that will burn on DC. It has a lot more penetration for welds that really have to hold.

HTH

Reply to
SteveB

Is that a stick welder?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

back in the '60's?

go home and open the gun cabinets.

to "voting from the rooftops"

Reply to
<memset

I had a sneek path above the welding gloves into the jacket which allowed full view of my fore arm, or should I say sore arm? That was red for quite a while. The second is reflection off your shirt which will light up the inside of the mask as if you weren't wearing it. They sell leather guards you can attach to the chin of the mask to eliminate that sneek path.

I've had pops jump into the helmet. I'd recommend the safety glasses at all times and a small slag of metal into your ear will just ruin your day.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

haha... neat (attachment to chin of the mask).

I've got all my tools packed up... about to head to old house where I can do car work & I'm gonna weld in some new Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Wish me luck! I expect it to take 3-4 hours.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:09:29 -0700, "Joel Corwith" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

This stuff is _really_ direct in its path. It finds those sorts of gaps. I wear a white lab jacket to weld, and have had to watch my face.

Yep. Me too. On lomg easy welding runs I wear my safety sunnies, One more layer to make it easier on the eyes. For smaller, or finiocky work I wear clear ones.

Some guy hear (pun intended) talked af a fried eardrum, I think. It may not have been that bad, but he said there was this enormous sound of frying bacon.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:31:52 GMT, vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I assume you closed your eyes? I have heard of a couple of guyse here "looking the other way" while welding bits.

As you say, a helmet is so much better! It has never ocurred to me not to use one.

Full close-weave clothing. Long leather gloves over the sleeves.

Sunburn hurts. But you don't have to get burnt to get skin problems later. Ear damage is called "the painless disease". Loud noises are irritating, not usually painful. However I do know that I used to weork wothout ear protection and it affected my nerves if I worked with somethiong like a hammer for extended periods. Saws etc probably also did not help. I found myself wincing whenever I used tools. Earmuffs or plugs make it much more pleasant. It takes suprisingly low levels of sound to do damage if you are exposed to them for long periods. Tinnitus is irritating at best, and has been known to drive poeple to suicide in bad cases.

All I can say about welding is that I am hooked. I did not get taught except many years ago, mostly oxy with a little stick welding, and I had forgotten most of it. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I started learning under atrocious conditions, with an old stick welder. That's how I knew all those things to look for that can go wrong!

I suggest you try getting some scrap, doing welds, then hammering away at them to see what goes wrong and where they break. Also cut through them, to look for bridges, voids, slag in the weld etc. Try butt and fillet, downhand at first, then start working on vertical stuff. On thicker steel for butt, you need to prep the join by grinding away a chamfer, basically to the point where your welder is enough, then fill the weld up to plate thickness and just beyond usually. On that sort of stuff you will start to see the duty cycle of your welder kick in.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:24:38 GMT, vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

If you do good welds on muffler material with a stick welder then you are doing quite well.

Reply to
Old Nick

Well... I was triple-checking EVERYTHING.. and doing the absolute best welds I could possibly do.. and it took me 3 hours to do one muffler. LOL. But hey... it's something that I wanted to do *once* and do *right*... so tomorrow I am going to guess about 1 hour to do the other muffler. I learned a lot of things on this one... like to MARK where the damn hanger goes & in what position (I welded the hanger on the wrong end last time... then re-welded & it was facing wrong way... so it's hanger-less right now, but it's sturdy no worries). Also note which side is the inlet & which is the outlet... if I didn't check, I woulda welded the outlet where the inlet was supposed to be.

SO... I've got 1 Flowmaster muffler on driver's side.. and 1 Full boar turbo muffler on the passenger side.. it produces a rather unique sound.. I like it, but the other Flow is still going on the other side ;). I am REALLY liking the Flowmaster sound over the turbo muffler sound though... not as "droney" as I thought it'd be after hearing people whine 24/7 about Flowmaster 40 series mufflers droning like SOB's. I'll keep you guys posted. Btw, the welds are very good *I* think on the exhaust tubing. I am getting a lot better at it & really gettin the feel for stick welding. I am rather enjoying it!

As always, I appreciate the advice & comments!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I did some good welds on muffler material... so I'm startin to get the hang of it!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Nope... didnt' close eyes.. but I did see colored spots for an hour or so afterwards. I have heard rumors that you're not supposed to wear contacts when welding... can fuse them to your eyes?? Like dental fillings & that light they use?

I wore leather gloves that overlapped the sleeves on a big coat I have. Welding helmet was always in use. I used it when using the angle grinder w/ cutting wheel to cut off the old exhaust too... except I took out the dark lens so I could SEE hehe.

I would like to grab some scrap metal from the local junk yard & go nuts... but we'll see. I am going to finish up this welding job (muffler) tomorrow. Wish me luck.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

:o

This thread is going to troll worse than the day I threw together that rewound microwave oven transformer welder dealie.

Tim

Tim Williams

:x

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:30:25 -0600, "Tim Williams" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yes. I can't see the point of such childishness. I am sorry I wasted my time.

Hey Mike. Wear shorts while welding as much as you like huh? Enough of that and the pool will thank you.

Reply to
Old Nick

I'd like my nuts to remain uncooked, thanks ;).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

So............. I hafta know........ what is the "rewound microwave oven transformer welder dealie"?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Indeed..the only thing I get are holes most of the time.

Thank (insert diety of your choice) for wire feed welders