Strength of various HRS and Equal Angle Sections

Does anyone know of a good site which perhaps has a calculator on it for determining the relative load bearing charastics of small (50mm x 50mm x

3mm) HRS and Equal Angle steel sections. I have some plans for a trailer which shows using 50*50*5 equal angle and would like to know what size/section of HRS would provide the equivilant load bearing and overall strength charastics.

Tks John Allen

Reply to
John Allen

John, John - I fear you are attempting to "over-engineer" your trailer project. The working loads imposed on a highway trailer are more complex than the "relative load bearing characteristics" you seek. Simply stated, it is impossible to anticipate in advance what the actual working loads will be -- think of rough roads, sudden braking stops, overloads, joint design etc and even if you are a skilled structural engineer, you will eventually have to pull some of the unknowns out of the air. I suggest that you examine an existing unit that has proven satisfactory under similar loading, and use that for a preliminary design. Safety should be an important consideration, and thus an overdesign makes good sense. The cost of a failure would be far higher than any savings from a cheap design. Cheers, Dave

Reply to
David Anderson

Go to

and download a wonderful program called "beamboy" and play with your various steel sections.

Reply to
Peter Merriam

Reply to
John Allen