Surprising increase in truck MPG

Indeed. Less than 65%

Gasoline is 9700 Wh/l Ethanol is 6100 Wh/l

Reply to
Todd Rich

"Doug Miller" wrote: (clip) pumping premium instead of regular.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Premium does not have more energy per gallon than regular. It has a higher antiknock rating. Period. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ One really hot day, that raised the pressure inside the tank just enough to pop out a large dent. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've been racking my brain trying to think of how he could have got a

*negative* dent in his tank. Thanks for answering that for me. But, now we have to go back and search for the time he posted a question about why his miles per tankful suddenly dropped, and how tuneups, etc, are not helping.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Here in Ontario Canada, the main 400 series highways average 110-120 kph in the slow lane. 110 or 70 mph holds up traffic usually. 140 kph in the center lane and if they catch you at over 150 kph in the fast lane, you lose the car for a week....

If you follow the traffic flow, they won't pick you out, you have to do something dumb to get nailed.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

"Pete C." wrote: Once you get below around half a tank, the vertically mounted fuel pump

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No manufacturer would design a fuel pump configuration that relies on keeping the fuel level way above empty. Obviously, the fuel flow through the pump is sufficient to prevent damage. Also, this is self-limiting. When the fuel flow stops, the engine also stops. I suppose you might do some damage if you were dorky enough to sit there with a dead engine listening to the fuel pump rattling away.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"sdlomi2" wrote: (clip) In older times a prof.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I wish your prof. were right. If the tank approached empty *asymptotically* you would never run out.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:27:46 -0400 "Ed Huntress" wrote: Haven't tried it too much

Hi Ed.. the only road in da U.P. that's over 55 is 60 miles of I75 from St. Ignace to the Soo. But I never get that far east. If I drive south I can hit 41 just north of Green Bay, I think that is 65 or 70.

Does anyone stick to 55? Nah.

You know Ed, this is a part of Michigan (the Keweenaw) that most folks downstate don't realize is here. LOL

Reply to
Jim

Yes some people do drive 55, between Raco and the Soo the cops have (well, had) a real hard-on for automotive engineers and test drivers in prototypes. Their dislike is not entirely unwarranted however...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It doesn't rely on it, it just has a shorter service life if it isn't submerged most of the time. It doesn't blow up, it just runs hotter and wears faster. I'm rather familiar with these pumps, I've replaced several of them and it isn't a fun way to spend an hour.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've just replaced the pump in my '85 Corvette after 265,000 miles and can attest to this. The first replacement was when money was tight and gas was always low at about 45K.

GM told me to keep more gas in the car. They were correct.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Check your fuel mileage for two or three tanks on regular. Then switch to premium for two or three tanks. You'll see a difference in your fuel mileage.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, in the middle of winter, it almost isn't. At one point, Copper Harbor had the highest average snowfall in the continental US.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That will happen with E18.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Sorry to rain on your parade, but on a STANDARD vehicle, not tuned to take advantage of the higher octane rating of gasohol you WILL get poorer gas mileage. Scientific fact, and proven in real life. Add to the fact that you have 10% ethanol, you canalso have another up to roughly 2% water due to the the groscopic nature of ethanol. The water adds virtually no power (again, on an engine not retuned for higher octane where the water MAY raise the detonation threshold)

I have NEVER experienced an increase in fuel mileage using ethanol blended gasoline over equivalent octane non-reformulated or non-oxygenated fuel.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

The accuracy of the pumps at the gas station is another factor. Several friends of mine owned service stations in the 1960s and 70s. I often helped them out. It was nearly impossible to adjust the pumps to give accurate measure. Some pumped too much, others too little. Some shadier operators (not my friends) always had the pumps set up to give short measure.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I would also be interested in seeing some definitive details as (1) increasing octane rating with no other change results in no change in power, and (2) back in the old racing days some cars ran on straight alcohol and if memory serves required roughly double the jet size to produce the same horsepower as the gasoline fueled cars.

It is difficult to see how adding alcohol, a lower powered fuel, would increase fuel economy.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct email address for reply)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

I could likely get another couple of MPG if I emptied the van and removed the passenger seats, and then raised my tire pressure 2 or 3 PSI, took off the roof rack, and removed the bra from the front. Between the seats and the stuff I carry around there is likely close to 200 lbs. When I take off the Dunlop Graspics and put the Goodyear touring tires back on it will also make a difference of close to a MPG. That should happen this next week.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

And 180 is NOT too hot on most engines. An occaisional engine will have a high NOX emission when run at that temp, but the VAST majority will get better fuel mileage and lower HC and CO output at the higher temperature. The more heat you keep IN the engine, the more efficient it is.As long as you don't get detonation or other problems due to the increase heat (which are USUALLY not a factor below 190 - 195.

On economy runs, operating temps of 215 and above are (or used to be) commonplace.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Closer to 50%. To run straight ethanol the jets on a carb need to flow twice the volume.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Like 33-55% of MTBE in gasoline - it didn't make it better, it diluted it. Millage dropped. And the ground water and lakes polluted.

Adding Alcohol to the fuel simply stretches the gas. It will take the water out of the bottom of the tank but boost octane - not hardly.

Someday: Cuba will be able to import new cars and find out the old ones they had worked better.

Martin

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

Sounds like my 850 Mini. Single carb - 60 mph in third, 55 in fourth and 50 MPG regardless how I drove it. Generally the accellerator pedal was nothing more or less than a switch.

Or my 1949 VW 998. 45MPH with a good tailwind on the level. Cable brakes made even that speed interesting when it came time to stop (touch the pedal lightly, catch the "veer" and then stand on it). Got a "breakaway" coming in the Nakatindi highway from Bottswana to Livingstone one day and hit 70 - too scared to hit the brakes to attempt to slow it down!!!! That one generally never got better than about 30 MPG, if that.

** Posted from
**