Surprising increase in truck MPG

IF the engine can take advantage of the higher octane you WILL get better mileage (assuming neither fuel has a different percentafe of Ethanol or other "modifications". If the engine can NOT make use of the higher octane, there will be virtually no difference in mileage, positive or negative, with increased octane rating. An engine with no knock sensor will have no improvement. Some with will. My wife's 2.5 Mystique gets better gas mileage on Super, but not enough to pay for the difference in pump price.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

As we approach $4 per gallon, I'm considering removing the roof rack from my Blazer.

That silly thing has got to cost 2 or 3 mpg!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I remember a news show (60 Minutes?) about that a few years ago. The EPROMS in the pump computers were rigged to short - except at

5, 10, and 15 gallons, which is what teh inspectors looks at when "certifying" the pumps.

Ain't technology great!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Did you start tracking gas mileage during winter? My Ranger would do 16-18 in winter, 18-20 in summer.

The Saturn can get down to 32 in winter and 35-36+ in summer.

Wes

Wes

29 cents/gallon when I was there, Ed. Da signs said 65/55 back then but they were regarded as suggestions. Might see two other cars on M-28 in the 60 miles between US-41 and Seney in those days. There were some notorious speed traps in the L.P. but we never had any problems in the U.P.
Reply to
Don Foreman

A few of us old toots know where the Keweenaw is!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmmmfff

My Dodge dooley gets better mileage than that and it's got a 36 gallon tank. (20 mpg @ 60 mph; 17 mpg @ 70 mph)

It's running 4.10:1 gears in both differentials, too.

It's finally getting broken in after 41,000 miles of pulling a 7-ton,

13' high, 8.5' wide fifth-wheel trailer.
Reply to
RAM³

The Army's arctic test lab was on the Keweenaw back in the '60s, don't know if that's still true. Oooh, Toivo, dey get a LOT of snow! I recall mornings in Hancock when the only evidence I could find re the location of my VW was the radio aerial sticking above the snow.

On a recent visit to the U.P. I found that folks there don't ordinarily speak Yooper as they once did. I asked a friendly young college-age woman in a coffee shop in Marquette about that. She laughed and gave me an earfull of Yooper. Made my day!

Ed, you surely know that the proper pronunciation is "Gop-per Harpor"...

Reply to
Don Foreman

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I normally log location, date, time, odometer reading, # miles travelled, on-board computer guesstimates of distance to empty and fuel economy, elapsed time of operation, # gallons, cost/gallon, total expense.

This way, I can also keep an eye on just how close (if at all) the on-board computer is to reality.

Reply to
RAM³

More than Paradise on Mt Ranier? This is a question, not a challenge, you're the stats man. I recall 300+ inches of snow in Houghton when I was there and I expect Gopper Harpor got a bit more.

Who gets the most snow now? It surzhell ain't here in MN.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:31:41 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

It was always a toss up. No cars either meant the divers would take pity and pick you up, or would sail right by you "too".

I remember hitching back from Switzerland, Easter Weekend. Bumper to bumper traffic, and someone on "autotramp" every twenty meters ... I got home just in time to shower, change and got to work.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:58:00 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

Was that the international orange foam ball with the smiley face on your 102" CB radio whip, Don? Waaaay too cold for me.

We had uncharacteristically cold weather yesterday. BB sized hail for an hour in 40F weather, now 28F with snow predicted. Nothing stuck for more than an hour yesterday. I much prefer my snow 'n ice like that.

That's always fun, especially if they're -pretty- young nubiles.

-- The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions. -- Ellen Glasglow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "RAM³" wrote on Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:03:07 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Ufda. I log purchase date, odometer, elapsed miles, gallons and cost. OF course, I'm not keeping a daily or trip record, save for my own interests. (special trips.)

Ah, I'm the on board computer. An "Analog self-programming computer which can be assembled by unskilled labor in the dark."

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The year my boss bought a piece of land up there, and he had me research everything he'd need for a bank to finance it (it was for recreation property), Copper Harbor had 264 inches of snow. That was the highest in the US at the time.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And that if you ask if there are any snowshoe rabbits this year, the answer is "a blue million of 'em."

Yoop...yoop...yooper, eh? I attribute the heart attack I had last year to eating too many pasties in the '60s and '70s.

Gunner is a Yooper. But I think he's from Escanaba, which is almost part of the US.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Exactly what I do, filled up yesterday, 19th April, unleaded.

Trip 766.7 km Fuel 61.7 litres Price $1.333 / litre after 4c discount, normally $1.373 Total $82.24 cost/km 10.73 cents

Fuel consumption 12.426 km / litre, 29.33 miles /us gallon or

35.09 miles per real gallon, slightly better than usual as I am not using the aircon so much as it is cooler. Vehicle 1994 Camry, 2.2 litre 4 cylinder. 2 x 50 km each way trips per week, mostly freeway and about 150 km per week local short trips of about 10 km each way. Diesel was $1.709 / litre today at nearest fuel station, ULP $1.399

Previous fill 28th March was

Trip 732.1 Fuel 65.29 litres Price $1.355 / litre after 4c discount, normally $1.395 Total $88.46 cost/km 12.08 cents aircon on all time, towing trailer about 200 km, average 300 kg load. Fuel consumption 11.213 km / litre aircon + towing = extra fuel used

Reply to
Alan

2007-2008 Snowfall To Date March 26, 2008 - 258.2"and 34" on the ground. Melting pretty good now, but we are still ice fishing. 1978 was the worst I remember... 354". Lots of winter kill on the deer herd, but a lot of the deer moved down to the banana belt, around Crystal falls and Iron Mountain.
Reply to
Jim

That may be reality as you wish it to be. Most gasohol is regular gas not the high octane you imagine. Most cars are tuned to run well on regular gas and they would get poor gas mileage if the alcohol wasn't added to raise the octane to the meet the octane requirements of STANDARD vehicles.

No. Someone on a newsgroup declaring that they are convinced they get poor mileage with E10 fuel is neither fact nor real life. What you describe is merely wishful thinking.

Given that both high gas prices and ethanol are here to stay - you can expect that even if the car you are now driving doesn't get better mileage with alcohol blends, in the future all cars will and most new cars today already do.

more wishful thinking.

What is clear is that statement is based on wishful thinking not facts. How would you know if the gas you are saying is better doesn't have 7% alcohol? And if your comparison is made with equivalent octane fuels then you are comparing low grade gasoline with alcohol added to a higher grade gasoline. If you buy gasohol that has an 87 octane rating the base fuel that the ethanol was added to may have an octane rating of 83 - what kind of mileage would your car be getting with straight 83 octane gasoline if the alcohol had not been added?

The fact is that there have been studies where fair comparisons have shown that you are wrong. The claim that adding 10% alcohol to gasoline reduces gas mileage by 4% due to the calculation that it contains 4% less energy is just plain false. ` Studies that compare regular unleaded to regular gasohol both at 87 octane do show about 0%-1% decrease in mileage. But that isn't a fair comparison. Those studies are not comparing the same gasoline with and without alcohol added.

What your wishful thinking also ignores is that by using alcohol as an octane booster the refinery can save energy by producing lower octane fuel to mix with the alcohol. That energy savings on 87 octane E10 fuel is reported to be around 3.5%. You personally may or may not see that 3% savings but someone is benefiting from that and it does explain why alcohol is here to stay and why almost all gasoline sold at the pump today contains some alcohol. And eventually all drivers and car manufacturers will adapt to that fact.

-jim

jim

Ha-ha! I'm trying to picture Iron Mountain as a banana belt.

Did you ever read _Trout Madness_ by Robert Traver? (That was his pen name -- he was a lawyer who also wrote _Anatomy of a Murder_.) I read it when I was around 12, living in Pennsylvania at the time. It was a goal of mine to try to retrace his fishing haunts some day in the Upper Peninsula. When I got the chance (I think it was 1971), I spent about six weeks of the summer trying to do exactly that.

Years later I met a guy online who knew him and generally where he fished. It turns out he was from Escanaba and fished mostly in the lower part of the UP. I had chased all around looking for beaver ponds with big brookies, all the way up to the Keweenaw.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I would have taken it to the dealer after the first tank or two and had them fix it. Something's wrong with a "3/4 ton" that, unloaded, gets 10 mpg. Back when I had a '73 F-250 with a 390, before fuel injection and computer controls, I rebuilt the engine when the mileage dropped to 10. That's ready-to-die symptoms in my book. (.007" clearance on the mains)

Presently I have a Dodge Ram Van 2500 with a 360 CID.

what that is in liters exactly, but certainly comparable to your engine size. It gets 10mpg towing that 7500 lb RV trailer. Without the trailer, it averages around 15 mpg.

Reply to
Steve Ackman