tap/die question

You are welcome to come tap a few holes and see.

Most of the work was in good quality CI, and brass. Did I mention over 300 of those holes were 'blind'.

If you treat your taps well and use plenty of quality tapping fluid

1-KiloHole is not that uncommon.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Can only say "Huh?" to that.

Near the end of

is picture
with text, "My tapping unit is an old drill press body that has a hand wheel attached to the top spindle and another hand wheel to lift the tap. The spring has been removed. ..."

Reply to
James Waldby

Every time I read about a tapping fixture/tool, I appreciate the VFD on my drill press just a little more. To tap I turn the VFD to 5 Hz (30 spindle rpm), chuck up the tap and do it. The foot operated forward/reverse makes backing off (chip breaking) a piece of cake. And I never have to fuss with alignment - the tap is in the same chuck as the drill bit just was. Torque is sensed by hand-holding the vise.

Works for me, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt