tap formula

My son spent another week in Tebis training last week...

So, I asked him what he learned. He's now so far into tooling design I can hardly follow it. he's now lead CAM programmer for his company.

But he did tell me this little fact. For a tap drill size you subract the recipricle of the lead from the nominal size. ie. for a 3/8 x 16 thread subrtract 1/16 from 3/8 and use tap drill size 5/16.

For metric taps subtract the lead. ie. for M10 x 2.0, 10 -2 = 8 mm tap drill size.

I had always just looked at my handy tap chart.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Cool tip! Saved and remembered (hopefully.) Thanks, Karl.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

that cool tip follows from 6 degree thread pitch - 1/2 base times height

- it's in all the handbooks.

Reply to
.

You mean 60 degree, of course. And "... 1/2 base times height" is the area of a triangular thread cross section & has nothing to do with diameters.

The height of the triangle is P/2 * SQRT(3)(where P = pitch), which is the difference between the major & minor _radii_ of a _triangular_ form thread. The difference in diameters is then P*SQRT(3) which is quite a bit larger than P (1.7 times).

But the standard thread form is not a triangle - the crest and root are both truncated. So by a happy cancellation of inaccuracies (the pitch being to small a difference for triangular threads and the standard thread not being triangular), the pitch is a close-enough difference between major & minor diameters.

I suppose that if one went through the geometry of the truncations, the difference would come out being (almost)equal to the pitch. But it certainly does not come from the height of a 60 degree triangle whose base is equal to the pitch.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Quicker to simply look at a chart than to convert say 1/13" or 1/11" into a decimal format...

I've had most of the common tap drill sizes memorized nearly forever anyways although frequently I'll use a slightly larger size, depending on the actual job

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Same here, a larger hole makes hand tapping so much easier and cuts down on tap breakage.

A common internal thread, drilled so that it results in 50% of full thread will break the external thread, before the internal thread will strip. A common internal thread drilled out so that it contains 100% of full thread is only 5% stronger than a 75% height of thread, yet it requires 3 times the power to tap.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Do you have "CRS" disease? (can't remember shit) Welcome to the

---whatever it is!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If I recall correctly that is true for holes that the engagement length is at least as long as the diameter.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Rule of thumb is five full threads of engagment. For common coarse threads, that's _about_ one major diameter. (i.e. 1/4-20... 5 threads equals 1/4")

LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I distantly remember from college that the minimum engagement length was a good rule of thumb to apply if you didn't have data on the material properties. Later I heard it in auto and aircraft contexts.

A Grade 8 screw in an aluminum casting won't fail the same way as a Grade 2 in a steel nut, and coarse threads are more likely to break at the thread root, fine ones more likely to strip. If we knew the properties we were supposed to calculate how much the male element would stretch and IIRC design so the threads fail by stripping progressively, beginning at the hole surface where bolt stretch is greatest.

Herreshoff designed his rigging turnbuckles such that the barrel and eyebolts stretched identically. When tested to failure all parts deformed before any broke.

The college class was for chemists and perhaps not as extensive in mechanical failure modes as one for MEs, but it went far into alloying, grain structure and corrosion.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The ROT that I read here, a long time ago*, was 4 threads for steel and

6 for aluminum.

Bob

  • - i.e., too long ago to remember the author and so to determine credibility
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt