Tap saves the day

I don't like using high spiral taps because they are more prone to breakage. For blind holes I like form taps better. So usually if the material allows it I will use form taps. But I had a job last week that I felt required high spiral taps. The parts were cast silicon bronze discs. By the time I got them they were already worth $720.00. I then put another $300.00 or so labor into each. The castings were of dubious quality. I thought I might have some tap breakage if the tap hit a piece of sand deep in the casting. And form taps are really hard to remove if they break in the part. Each part gets 25 3/8-24 tapped holes. I used the high spiral taps(they really should be called high helix) and one tap did indeed break about halfway to programmed depth. I was able to use a 3/16 carbide endmill to mill away the web of the tap and the three flutes just fell into the hole. I retrieved the tap pieces with a magnet and hand tapped the hole the rest of the way. It only took me about twenty minutes to remove the tap and finish tapping the hole. So sometimes high spiral taps are best. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I use them pretty much exclusively, except for when hand tapping....breakage occurs only very rarely...

--not sure why you'd think they break more easily.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

occurs only very rarely...

Because they do. Especially in 304 SS. And silicon bronze. But I can tap both of those materials with roll taps. At least that has beenj my experience. Eric

Reply to
etpm