Techniques to Rust/Patina Tin

I'm currently using pieces of tin can for a project and am trying to create a rust patina on the surfaces. I've tried muriatic acid (which was effective in stripping the shiny plating on the metal), followed by a clorox/vinegar bath (which blackened the metal), but have been unsuccessful in inducing a deep brown rusty coating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- Z

Reply to
psychopomp

You might try ferric chloride and/or ferric nitrate.

Reply to
Footy

You are washing the metal with another acid instead of neutralizing it with a basic solution. Try soda [sodium bicarbonate], soda ash [sodium carbonate] or lye, [sodium hudroxide],rinse with clean water. then leave it in a moist area for a few days. You should get a great rust bloom. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Spray on wood stains and clear-coat.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Salt is the traditional method. Paint it with a heavy brine, seal it in a plastic bag in a warm place for several days and then buff it to a shiny brown.

I'm sure there are more specialized solutions, but this method has worked for me in the past.

rcook5

Reply to
The Apostate One

Works very well, if you enclose the object in a plastic bag for a couple of days afterwards and let it sit someplace warm.

Just don't leave it in too long or it will pit.

When you take it out of the bag and buff it until it's a shiny brown you get a nice even brown.

I used to do that all the time. There may be better ways, however.

--RC

rcook5

Best to strip off the tinplate first. Tin oxide is transparent.

But if it's any suggestion, the coffee can I keep my rock salt for the sidewalk has a lovely brown, er, patina.

It could be art. Anyone want to buy some art?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen