Threading Plate?

I picked up this tool a while back.

I think it is a threading plate. Sizes marked are 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, & 18, the second digit being a little smaller and superscripted. Are these tenths of mm. and does someone know how this tool is used?

Thanks, John.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:46:46 -0400, the infamous "John" scrawled the following:

If it's for threads, I believe it would be a re-threading device. You would open it, hold the two dies against the bungled threads on the bolt, and tighten it down, then unscrew it from the end of the bolt. All better now! I had one for axle threads which was hinged on one end, the open side closed with a swing-out screwdown similar to the way shown in your pic. It was liberated from my toolbox one day and I never found it. It looked similar to the flaring tool in this pic, the bottom portion.

From your picture, your tool looks more like a complicated wire stripper.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmm ... not sure, without a closer shot square on to the plates, but from here it looks more as though it is a tool to restore damaged threads, not to cut new ones.

In any case, a finger or a thumb goes in the ring to spin it around the shaft being threaded or restored, once it is tightened sufficiently by the thumbscrew.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

What ever it is - it is nicely designed. It can fit over a nut and onto a bolt - e.g. fix without getting the nut off...

firm it a bit and run it around with the finger in the hole. Firm it again - and do it again....

Much like the process of a tubing cutoff tool.

Martin

Mart> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:46:46 -0400, the infamous "John"

Martin H. Eastburn

No, what you have is a stock & dies set. See the difference here:

From a 1910 cat. Tom

Reply to
Jack

Thanks Tom for the catalog picture, it matches perfectly. The stock part of the name is obvious when you think about it. I should have stated that the slightly larger central hole between each block has thread cut in it. I now remember a similar ancient tool on a much larger scale in one of our farm sheds back in Tasmania. My father had a conventional set of dies so I never saw the stock and die set used, and it may have been missing some of the dies.

Thanks all, Happy thanksgiv>

** Posted from
**
Reply to