David Geesaman

Clean with MEK, then use activator. And torque to spec.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

There are some varieties of LocTite and Permatex Thread-Lock that work with oily surfaces.

Reply to
Rex

Right. Is it better to use one of these, or try to clean the cast iron well with solvent and use the regular high-strength stuff?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I wonder what properties of Loc-tite actually lock the bolt to the nut. Is it the adhesive bond between the 2 metal surfaces, or does the Loc-Tite merely "fill in the space" between the threads, solidify, and cause the bolt/nut to bind? If the latter, then having oil soaked cast iron shouldn't matter as long as there isn't so much oil so as to dilute the Loc-tite and prevent it from solidifying.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I did. Hence the question of which one works best.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Reply to