Thumb vice - Hand vice

I was looking at an article on

"build your own tank" and there is a pic of metal being held together by a "thumb vice". Extensive searching on the web without results. I believe this clamp is also called a "hand vice".

Does anyone know a supplier in the USA for these?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Cramond

Several models of Vise-Grips would do the job and probably better. Lane

Reply to
Lane

I picked up mine at SWEST jewelers supply. They are out of business now, but another jewelers supply would probably have one. It is ery handy for working on small parts. I would not trade mine for vise-grips, on the other hand, I would rather use vise grips for the task detailed in your link.

Charles

Glenn Cram>I was looking at an article on

"build your own tank"

Reply to
xlch58

Here is one in one of our former colonies:

I have one like that except it was made here in America about a century ago. And then there is this one:

Damn! I don't have one of those either!

Reply to
Jack Erbes

"Paul K. Dickman" snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net

I have one; it's marked "STUBS." Even the wing nut has filing marks. The screw is slightly bent, to accomodate the swing of the jaws, which like blacksmith's leg vise jaws, are fully parallel only when closed. What a miniature tour de force of the blacksmith's art, including the box joint on which it pivots. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Those were a standard issue tool for disassembling the locks on the Springfield muskets and rifles. You would remove the lock and catch the "V" shaped mainspring from the side, clamp down on it to unload the stirrup and then you could remove the spring. You also needed it to re-assemble the lock.

The jaws on the armory tool ones were not real wide, there were apparently other on the market that were wide and made for more general use. I have two or three if different types and they are the best thing in the world for delicate shaping of parts on a belt or disc sander. One of mine has a "v" in one jaw for gripping round stuff like screws.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

They are listed in the Starrett catalog, but damn if I can find anybody that has one in their catalog. I looked at J&L, MSC and Mcmaster. McMaster does have them, but not the starrett one (judging by the pictures). cs

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Long as you're at it, let me know if you can find a supplier for a Starrett rafter square. Those are still made but apparently not carried anywhere. Bit of a tool snob item but I buy stuff like this as gifts for guys who have done me big favors and who will know and appreciate and USE them.

Grant Erw>>>Does anyone know a supplier in the USA for these?

Reply to
Grant Erwin