Tooling for turning brass?

Hey Jim,

I would trade all four of my lathes (5"EncoCNC, 10" SB, 13" Turnmaster, 15" Clausing-ColchesterCNC) for one manual 18" Dean Smith & Grace, or Harold's Graziano (no matter what size). Either one of those will do all that the "little" ones can do because they will handle the higher RPM's, and the "feel" is fantastic!!

Remember the old ad.... "Try it! You'll like it!!"

Hmmmm....Maybe even for a TOS S50!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Don't allow the general nice design and light duty appearance of the Monarch fool you. I've spent considerable time on them, including an EE that was about a year old when I was assigned to it. They are very robust, most likely because of careful engineering, more so than tonnage, like the Axelson. They have what appears to be small ways, but very heavy beds. Check out an EE when it's convenient. Tiny ways, but a 3,500 pound 12" lathe! I consider Monarch to be amongst the finest of lathes, better than the P&W, which is an exceptional machine. Of all lathes I've ever run, Monarch is the easiest, with LeBlond likely one of the more clumsy, and I've run several of them, including a 48" sliding gap bed model.. Nice machines, just somewhat "left handed" for me.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yep! It is!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Glad to hear it Harold - I was beginning to worry about you, I could tell by your tone lately that your not sure there's a house at the end of the tunnel!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I've seen a EE and almost got one instead of my P&W. The main thing that stopped me was that I was really needing a little more swing on a small lathe for some of my work. The P&W had me a little worried that it would be to small but it's proven itself to be just right for what I needed.

Once I get my finances caught back up I'm going to be looking for a replacement for my Sidney. A Monarch is one of my top choices for the replacement if I can find one. My problem is that I need a minimum of

8' centers but I'm not sure I've got room for a 10' machine. I've noticed that 8' lathes are on the rare side anymore.

As for LeBlonde well I can't say that I wouldn't take one in the right condition, size, and price but they're one of the lower contenders in my book. I've run them enough to be comfortable with them but I agree that the feel just isn't there.

Of course all of this is wishful thinking at the moment. I've had to many get this now or it's gone good deals or must have to complete this project type expenses come up this year for me to consider a new lathe at the moment. Hopefully next year I'll be in a better position to upgrade. The Sidney isn't a bad lathe but it's not a heavy duty lathe by any stretch of the imagination. That's my only real problem with it. There are some jobs that come in where I need to be able to move metal and move it fast for them to be profitable and until I upgrade I'm not able to do that on larger items.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

It's a tough project for me, mostly because of my age and arthritis, but I can't imagine not doing it, even if I never get to use it. While it would have been sort of nice to have others come in and get it done, we'd have ended up with a lot less money in our pockets, and, quite frankly, would have been denied the degree of satisfaction and pride we have by having done it "ourselves". We've done everything aside from excavate and the footing on both the shop and house. Oh, yeah, and the concrete work. No way could I do that.

I'm still not quite sure there's a house at the end of the tunnel, though.

Nice observation, Jim.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Those two things are on my "boy I sure wish I could see jpgs" list.

1) your construction project and

2) Fitch's construction project.

I guess I still owe you some jpgs of the outside of our pile-O-lumber too, eh?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yep, you do! I'd enjoy seeing it.

Want me to send some by snail mail? Maybe on a floppy, or a CD? Contact me on the side with the proper address if you'd like to see it. I've taken hundreds, although we didn't get a digital camera until two years ago or so. The early part of the project is all on film. Mind you, the place isn't an architect's concept of a beautiful house and shop. We designed it ourselves, and it's specific to our needs. I can't help but think that anyone that sees the shop would say it's a dandy. We're quite proud of the entire project. Unlike the castle, we'll finish this one (assuming it doesn't finish us first).

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos