toolpost grinders

What is one or does it do i think my atlas lathe came with one. And my newbie to the machining side doesnt really get the point of it currently

there is an electric motor attached ot a belt drive attached to an arbor that ends in a small grinding attachment i assume this is essentially a toolpost grinder?

But the application of one is still a bit of a mystery to me and i could stand to be pointed in the right direction.

Reply to
Brent Philion

They are a precision balanced motor with a belt driven spindle with precision bearings. The assembly provides for speed changes for the size wheel in question. Not really necessary unless you intend to work with hardened materials, and not really recommend anyway. You have to grind dry, which is a grand PITA, and the resulting abrasive plays hell with a lathe, which has exposed ways, unlike a precision grinder. At best, a tool post grinder is a compromise. Relatively poor finish (as compared to a precision grinder) and difficult, at best, to control size (again, as compared to a precision grinder). As the name implies, they mount on the compound, where your tool post mounts.

Don't get me wrong. They're a nice tool if you must grind and have no other options. Just avoid using one if you can. There's lots more neat stuff you can use for your shop----assuming you don't have a specific need.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Like the others have stated, its a super tool when needed, but it makes a mess. Whenever I use mine, I place old bed sheets etc on my lathe, and use a piece of brown masking paper that I spray oil on so it attracks and holds the grit the grinder makes, and as much as I cover my bedways and the rest of the machine it still will find places to get into that you find months later......

Reply to
Roy

If your TP grinder is made by Atlas, you can get a manual for it from Clausing, which merged with Atlas a number of years ago. There's a bit of info in the manual on how to use it AIR.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Got any pictures?

I was thinking of making one out of a Dremel! I've had to turn down goddamm dowel pins, so I collet-ed up the pins, and just held the Dremel by hand!! Worked! At least well enough...

A spin fixture on a surface grinder is probably a better method for the ends of short hard pieces.

The finish from these grinders can be pretty good. My buddy finishes long shafts w/ a Dumore They are a pita, tho, and the grit/dust is a problem. Proly wouldn't hurt to blanket the ways/machine if using one for extended periods.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

You can use carbide to turn down dowell pins. You can part 'em off too. Even the shanks of endmills and taps can be turned with carbide. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Dremel makes a flexible shaft attachment that is cylindrical and about

5/8" or 3/4" diameter. It fits a boring bar holder nicely.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

Must be using cheap carbide... :(

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

This is a great idea!!

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

there are NO indications on it to show it was made by anyone thats the strange thing. And i can see essentially that power comes in on a 2 prong lampcord telling me its NOT a new peice of equipment

Reply to
Brent Philion

Reply to
Brent Philion

Do you have a picture that you could post to the drop box at

?

Alternately, I have an original Atlas/Clausing TP grinder and can put a picture of that on my web site but it will take me to the weekend to get to it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

You will never have a use for it, and it will be laying around your shop, tripping you every time you walk past it.... so, to save you all that aggravation, you should box it up, package it well, and ship it off to ME... and let me help you from becoming upset with it.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Such a sacrifice. A true friend!

You sure you're willing to put up with all that trouble, Ken?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

THe pic i have is my full lathe with tooling the grinder is kinda small in comparison but it is in the pic i have

It looks homebrew

a tube with a morot and a speed control switch (Multi position) to a triple pulley to another to a tube containing the arbor to a grinding bit (die grinder bit size)

I'll attempt a posting to the drop box

Reply to
Brent Philion

[insert eye roll here]

new to machining

born at night

but NOT last night =)

Reply to
Brent Philion

below the chuck key

Reply to
Brent Philion

I've turned the flange off of drill bushings when adapting them to hold odd sized drills in a tool grinder collet. (have to slit them).

Carbide is is great.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Hang around here a while, and you'll see lots of offers to take "worthless" stuff off your hands. Some are even serious.

All kidding aside, there are things you will run across in your wanderings that you recognize what it is (or at least you are pretty sure) that were expensive or rare once, and were worth a pretty penny once, and you know you'll never use - but you know three people who can. And the price is right, as in "Get it out of here, it's been sitting there for 20 Years and I'm sick of looking at it!"

So you haul it off, and you can usually find someone here to pay you the "Shipping and Handling" costs to get it to a good home, where it will get used for the intended purpose.

That, or they might have something sitting around taking up space at their shop that YOU need - What goes around comes around...

And you saved landfill space, too!

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Of course, the *week after* he gets rid of it, he's gonna need it--bad.

I finally got rid of a bunch of old tires, after 10 years. Wouldn't you know, two weeks later, I needed a bunch of old tires?? Hadda go back to the dump.... :(

Someone way upstairs has a wicked sense of humor.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®