Transitional Fits a Question

Im class today my teacher was talking about the different types of fits (Clearance, Interference and Transitional) he said that he has never found an example of a Transitional Fit. Does anyone here have an example of a Transitional Fit? Ken

Reply to
Ken Vale

Answer from Ask Jeeves

Bearing Fits Cylindrical roller bearings often use a transitional fit instead of a sliding fit when axial movement of the race is not required. From:

Clay

And, how does this explain the definition of "transitional fit"?

Reply to
Bob Swinney

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:49:29 GMT, "Bob Swinney" pixelated:

I got curious, too, so here are some findings:

googling "transitional fit machining", then "transitional interference fits"

(Whassa H7/k6? I don't have a Machinery's whatsit book)

(o/p's pointer) (Ah, I now see that an H7 is a free sliding fit)

googling "k6 fits"

I'm now thinking a transitional fit is essentially just a finger-press-fit.

(Oops, time to get to work.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A Transitional fit is a fit which can be either a Clearance or an Interferance fit (in otherwords for the application in question it doesn't matter one way or the other). Ken

Reply to
Ken Vale

Machinery's Handbook 12th Edition page 1132.

Terms Applied to General Classes of Fits. Transition Fit: Term applied when the limits admit of either clearance or interference fits being obtained.

Clear as mud? What does it actually mean in practice? My idea would be that the part being machined to an interference, press, shrinkage fit etc would have a transition section machined to act as a go no-go gge or a slight taper/chamfer to act as early warning or both, size permitting of course.

How do you guys/gals judge when to stop machining, say for a push fit as in keyed shaft and such like? 'Just one more light cut. Oh fiddle, it's now a sloppy fit. Start again' etc etc as happens regularly. GeoffH Norfolk UK

Reply to
GeoffH

's easy. Machine a 1" shaft +/- 1/16". The limit admits of either clearance or interference in a 1" hole

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

They're sometimes seen in people during the transition from married to single.

Reply to
Don Foreman