Trying to ID an antique lathe

I've heard of that, what's the SOP for measuring your cuts? Stopping and mic'ing frequently? Some kind of add-on gauge?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Looking at the photo more closely, I can see the original crossfeed screw sticking out of the carriage, minus its ballcrank. It appears that the Hardinge-type cross slide is mounted on top of something that in turn is sitting on the carriage's dovetail.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

OK, the seneca falls I have has a peculiar feature. It has a crossfeed screw with no graduated dial - plus the screw itself is double square thread if you can imagine single-pointing one of those.

There is a funny latch on the front of the carriage, and a hole in the cross slide that lines up with it. There is a setscrew that projects downwards into that hole in the slide.

There is supposed to be a threaded rod, with a flat on one side, with graduations on the flat. Two knurled nuts check against each other. Think 'drill press quill stop screw' on a smaller scale and that's what it had originally.

I sort of thought this was how it was done, until I saw a friends slightly more modern seneca falls machine - which

*does* have a micrometer dial on the crossfeed, btw. It has the same latch, and has the measuring rod present in the hole in the cross slide.

Jim

jim rozen

CHeck, check, and recheck. After a while, you get the feel and a "nudge here" or "one more knock on the crank" puts you right where you want to be. A dial indicator set to read on the crossfeed helps if you really need it held. Plus or minus two without it should be done easy enough.

Like a buddy of mine asked how many iterations before he got it right, "Just one more."

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

My guess would be between 1890 to 1915 or thereabouts. Looking at the legs on the head end, I'd guess that it had a treadle arrangement, but probably with a flywheel somewhere in there.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Between 1897 and 1907, as that was as long as the B F Barnes Co. made lathes. He was a brother of W F & John Barnes and had worked for them. He sold out in 1907, the company being reorganized as the Rockford Drilling Machine Co.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I thought this was a common setup for a threading stop. My Hendey has a similar provision, though I haven't used it yet. I can see touching the bit to the work, setting the stop, and then using the compound to advance the feed after backing the cross slide out at the end of the pass (or just before the next one), then you'd just have to crank in to the stop for the next one without watching the dial...

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford