Turning 4140 half hard

I started having that problem when I was forty. One thing about it I didn't have any problems locating my safety glasses when the safety man was coming -- they were right there on the end of my nose =8-)

I hate to sound like an old man but when I was a young fellow calipers just weren't the thing. In those days machinists usually furnished their own 1 & 2 inch Micrometers and in most shops they had to be either Starrett or B&S.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Where I took my apprenticeship, nobody was allowed to bring in his own measuring tools. If it had to do with measuring, it had to have a calibration sticker; certification good for a year. You could keep tools in your box overnight, but you only had 10 tool chits total, so most days you'd end up standing in line at the tool crib for something or other.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

These were job shops in upstate New England. As I remember you had to check your mics against a standard with the foreman looking on. The company furnished anything larger then 2 inches.