Type of steel in large auger

I asked this in the welding group, but received zero answers.

We have a 2' diameter earth auger that is over 7' long, about half of the length is auger flighting and the other half is shaft. It is a left over from a utility pole digging truck that no longer runs. We have a skid steer with an auger head. I would like to shorten the shaft portion of the auger to make it usable with the skid steer.

There is no point in destroying the existing auger if this modification is not likely to succeed. The hex socket, flighting, and rock teeth are in good condition. We are trying to decide whether to spend the time and money to use the one we own or just buck up and get one made for the skid steer.

Is the shaft made of anything exotic? What would be the best rod to use? I can probably add an external sleeve with through bolts which would be a bit like shear pins, but again, what size, etc?

Reply to
DanG

My son spent two years building these. From his memory the material was called grade 50 or ASTM 512 but he's not positive. He'll look it up at work tomorrow and get back to me. I'll forward your query to him for the other questions. No doubt this can be done, you just need the best advice.

Karl

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I looked online for ASTM A512: Its a grade of 1018, easy to work with. most any common method will do

Karl Townsend

Karl, thank you so much for the information. I just didn't want to destroy something for not asking.

Reply to
DanG