Unbelievable accuracy from a walmart watch

Amazing isn't it. John Harrison spent his entire working life perfecting his chronometer and it was "only" accurate to a few seconds in the month. I bought my watch from The Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain) over two years ago, it's still accurate within five seconds and it cost about what you paid. Check the Wikipedia entry on John Harrison; a real story of pereverance, political intrique and double dealing with an eventual happy ending.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

A week ago I posted a surprised message about a $6 watch from walmart that seemed to be accurate.

I have a little more data now.

About 2 weeks ago, I set this watch very accurately to time that is kept by syncronizing with an NTP server (atomic clock), to the second.

Today I checked time again whiel trying to be very good at catching the right moment. I typed "date" and pressed ENTER just as the arm of the watch passed :00:00.

The result is that the watch is not even by one second off!!! Obviously, there are limits to my own precision in how I pressed the return key right when the watch ticked :00, plus the OS delay in starting "date", but in any case I could not detect any difference.

I find it rather amazing, really.

The watch is a quartz watch with hands, "water resistant".

Ignoramus30509

Quartz crystal oscillators can be extremely precise. I worked in an electronics design group for awhile that designed crystal oscillator chips, so I felt a pull to own a watch which used one. I wound up with a nice Tag Heuer, keeps great time too.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Go here to have the correct time available at your compouter at all times.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Thanks Bob, I already use NTP to keep computer time accurate.

Ignoramus30509

What a fascinating article. Thank you.

Ignoramus30509

Reply to
David Billington

Yes, the Borg-Mart need accurate watches to synchronize their minions...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
David Billington

I can't believe the amount of "going on" about time to the second. If I'm within 5 or 10 minutes I'm perfectly happy. Buses are always late, Trains even moreso, and airlines, you have to be there anywhere from 1 to 2 hours early anyway. I can't see any place that requires that kind of timing. :-) Even the various TV stations don't seem to be on the same time. :-) ...lew... (of course I'm retired)

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Dava Sobel's "Longitude" is a great read about what Harrison went through.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

nah!, its quite normal for a pc clock to be way out, use a ntp program that can sync the pc clock to an atomic clock, then you won't have problems.

Reply to
dAz

Quartz crystals gradually age, so it will be interesting to see how well it keeps time in, say, a year's time. ( The warmth of your body and your built-in thermostat will effectively keep the temperature variations under some control. )

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Reply to
JR North

I simply run ntp every hour. That's the way computers are supposed to be run.

Ignoramus30509

I run NTP occasionally to syncronise but my main point was that my pc keeps seriously crap time. Most pcs I have used keep to within seconds a week if not months whereas my current pc of the last 6 years gains about

1 m>>
Reply to
David Billington

All PCs I saw were lousy at keeping time with their clocks.

Ignoramus30509

I havea sunbeam walclock with a taiwan mechanism that went thru a fire and still never drops a second. A single AA battery lasts 2 years in this one. I hate time. It just never stops and this clock just ticks away loudly. I'm gonna have to discus this thing

Reply to
daniel peterman

I'm sitting here in the home office surrounded by computers with Internet NIST synchronized clocks and my three WWVB NIST synchronized wall clocks for east, central and west. It's oddly amusing to watch the hands on the wall clocks all step in sync and in sync with the computers.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Are the clocks in older PCs quartz oscillators, or are they something inferior? I remember them keeping very poor time. When I got a Sun workstation I remember being pleasantly surprised that the clock kept time. But then the Sun uses this "Timekeeper RAM" chip, which is quite expensive in itself.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy