unspooler project

We don't have same; people cost $ so if I can leverage the machines, I will.
David Lesher wrote:

Times change, and the scale of the job has an impact. When you have a dozen spools leaving the compound every morning it meant that you had dozens of people at hand. Also, hardline is easy to damage on the spool. Drop one over on it's side and it will no longer pass the sweep test. Then you had very expensive rolls of hard to dispose of scrap.
enough left over to pay them.
So I need ~12" of rectangular steel tube with a >1.75" gap in one direction; the other way can be from that up to 5".
This for the unspooler.
There's a Metals to Go place in Glen Burnie, but they handle AL and stainless, not mundane stuph. Is there any place similar that does have steel?
Durrett & Shepard in Baltimore is good for structural steel like beams, channel, and tube. Call and see if they have a drop they can cut for you. BMG just south of Balt. is good on some things, give them a call too, and Pennsylvania Steel up in York (they have a truck down here 2-3 days a week). Those three are where we get most of our steel and stainless, plus Copper Brass/Thyssen for aluminum. I'll try to check our stock/scrap pile at work tomorrow to see if we have anything (we are in Laurel, MD).
----- Regards, Carl Ijames

So a while back I asked for input on building an unspooler. I got both software and hardware donations.
Here's an update. <http://tinyurl.com/bigtoysformorephun
So the first plan was a clamp for the forklift tines, to hold the axle. Powering this was a old York forklift. It loves to stall, thus you need three feet, not two, on any slope, but.....
But the duct suppliers sabotaged me; both the 1.5" gray and 2" orange arrived on reels too large in diameter for the tine length. We have fork extensions, but they eat into the spacing such that the reels wouldn't fit in-between. %^&@#$%
So Plan B adapted an orphaned trailer of unknown parentage. It has a 7" tall/5" wide I-beam, and a ~6" dia tongue. At some point, it had a 1_7/8" ball receiver pasted on.
We added vertical 2" sq. stock with 3" dia. pipe couplings holding the axle. We gusseted it with more 2" sq. stock, and a few added pieces. {Care to guess we found lying around the shop?}
The height was an issue. Bitten once, we wanted it big enough to hold the largest reel we might get. But THAT was ~1" too tall for the York to lift the reel over the vertical and drop it down.
The first time, with the gray, we backed the trailer, straddling the verticals around the reel; then lowered it into place. That was very tricky considering the York's propensity to stall when you most needed it.
So to swap to the orange, we flipped the trailer backwards, rolled the reel out, and rolled the new one in. Then we flipped the trailer down, carefully. We might have made the rear arms shorter.
The third gadget was a trailer hitch bar for the Kubota. It clamps onto its forks, and has 1_7/8", 2" and pintle ring connections. Originally, we were going to use the pintle hook adapter seen on the van; but that blocked the balls, and we needed it on van. So we made a plate for a large clevis pin that's not shown.
It does tend to slide off the forks, and we might add a arm to the rear.
Added the photo array are some of the other toys around. The flatbed is hardly stressed with that PVC pipe. The winch was used to haul both the yellow trencher, and after it burnt a valve or two, the rented RT45's, up the slopes. The bulldozer was not needed, but there were times I'd have loved to have driven it over the Midmark. Lastly, the IH 3840 would have been a big help with its 27 ft reach, but it's in need of repairs. To get some idea of the size of the beast, that's a portrait of George Washington you can see.
Hey, I mentioned a big IH Case loader sitting out in the field lonely. Gunner noted "Big bucket..."
Here's an update. <http://tinyurl.com/bigtoysformorephun The last four shots show it up and about today after 5+ years out in a field. Next step is some cylinder rebuilds...including the two outriggers & the main one in the arm.
When done, the backhole has a 27 ft reach, and ~1 yard^3 bucket....
The page was not found

More Googlegrief... Try <http://tinyurl.com/bigtoysformorephun2
On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:39:07 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

A Most Beautyous old pig. Corngrats on ownership.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Not mine but I'll get to play with it. A guy can make a lot of trouble with a beast that size...4WD to boot.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 04:33:31 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

I'm certain of that fact, too.

Yeah, I saw the axles and knew she could go wherever. I watched a little Deere (9360 IIRC) push over some rotted stumps last month and was amazed at how strong the little guy was. Jayzuss, 1/4mil price? <thud>
-- In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts. -- Peter McWilliams
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 04:33:31 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher

I bought a Case backhoe to put in my septic system about 5 years ago. I paid 5 grand for a pretty worn out machine. It's a CK 745. Anyway, it did the septic system just fine. The county said it was one of the best systems they had seen. The machine still works well and I was using it just a few days ago to move a bunch of dirt. I dug all my water, phone line and power ditches with it. Buried my neighbor's horse with it. It will did a ditch 14 feet deep according to the manual but the depest I have dug is 11 feet. For the horse. ERic
David Lesher wrote:

Why would anybody let it sit for 5 years? What did it take to get it running? Or was all this covered in another thread?
On 5/30/2012 11:47 PM, David Lesher wrote:

When that gets too small or you get tired of it you can go reclaim this puppy...
<http://www.bigbrutus.org/about.html

Could, but what's the cost difference?

Do you monitor Craig's list? There have been several of these trailers at almost give-away prices in the Bend Oregon list.
Paul

The gas alone from SJO to Bend and back makes it unattractive. But we could look locally. I don't know how well it will work; we're trenching through woods.

And I just checked CraigsList; I don't see any cheap trailers in Bend or the Bay area. Either my searching is poor, or someone was there already.
The big issue with a separate tripod is we'd need to move it frequently, over bad terrain.
My alterative was something on the 3-point hitch, but then I realized it was a bit too heavy....
David Lesher wrote:

Actually, there is a better approach I just thought of. Use just the 3" pipe axle and a couple big U bolts with cross-plate to clamp it to the forks. You don't even have to drill the pipe if the U bolts are big enough to span the fork and the pipe diagonally.
"Pete C." wrote:

Or even big C clamps if the pipe length just spans the forks so you can stick the C in the end of the pipe and clamp it to the fork.