Upgrade laser electronics

Hi Guys,
Just picked up an old laser engraver that was based on a plotter, looks to be about 20" x 12". The laser itself lives (ouch), but the transport electronics are fried. Besides when it was working, it used windows 3.11 and Corel 5 (I think he said)!!
I am wondering if I can use an Arduino+RAMPS and Marlin/GRBL (???) to drive the thing back t life. Anyone have some links to a DIY build? I do NOT want to go to something like Mach3, just way too much overhead for what I need at the moment.
I am about to dig into the guts to locate the stepper motors to see what I can find on voltage current etc. Since it was based on a plotter, (no idea what brand) I am guessing RAMPS might work. Wiki shows win3.11 and Corel-5 as 1994. Helpful thoughts?
On 07/04/18 19:27, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

This may not be helpful but in my experience the Windows plotter driver was a big POS and a waste of time for accurate work. It converted the vector GDI to raster and sent that to a vector device and seemed to pay no attention to the pen parameters configured. When I wrote a PCB package for Windows I wrote my own plotter driver which did accurate plots unlike the standard Windows offering. There was a decent aftermarket plotter driver but whether it's still available I don't know. Maybe Corel had its own plotter routines, I can't say. I don't know the packages you references but may look them up for future reference.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:27:17 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"

Arduino and GRBL will work. All sorts of online info. Eric

I think GRBL is the way to go here. There's a flavor for the MEGA that will work with RAMPS, and a flavor for the UNO that will work with the basic CNC shield (you don't need the bells and whistles of RAMPS for this job.)
Your main issue with the steppers (if they are steppers) is that they should be, or be convertible to, 4-wire drive to work easily with the cheap/common stepper drivers of the current era (Polulu & clones.)
That means 5 wire is bad (internally connected center taps), 6 wire is OK (just isolate the two center-taps) and 8-wire is OK (just join and isolate the centers) as well as 4-wire. You can get 5-wire drivers but they are not as cheap and cheerful as the 4s these days.