What can I use this welding wire for?

To any welders left here, My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi .045" MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for anything special, like welding cast iron. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Jim Wilkins

Do you have 70% Cu 30% Ni, or 30% Cu 70% Ni (which is close to some Monels)?

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Reply to
Ned Simmons

70 copper, 30 nickel
Reply to
etpm

It's 70% copper. Eric

Reply to
etpm

General Description

Carlson alloy 70 30 Cu Ni is a copper nickel alloy with excellent resistance to corrosion and erosion. It is strong and ductile. 70 30 Cu Ni is utilized in areas where high temperatures and pressures, combined with high velocities and turbulence are serious problems. It

pressure vessels.

70 30 Cu Ni exhibits outstanding resistance to general and impingent attack by clean sea water. It is, however, subject to bio-fouling at low velocities. 70 30 Cu Ni also has excellent resistance to attack by fresh water, boiler feedwater, and steam. It withstands the attack of phosphoric, sulfuric, and mild organic acids. It is attacked by chromic, hydrobromic, hydrochloric, and nitric acids. 70 30 Cu Ni is resistant to alkaline chlorides, chromates, nitrates and sulfates. It is, however, attacked by the cyanides and acid dichromates. 70 30 Cu Ni resists wet and dry chlorine, bromine, and carbon dioxide at ambient temperatures.

Applications

70 30 Cu Ni is widely used in marine service, tidewater power plants, desalinization plants, oil refineries, and in the chemical process industry. It is utilized extensively as a condenser and salt water tube and piping material for the U.S. Navy.

Product applications include condenser, heat exchanger and distiller tubes, tube sheets and baffles, sale water piping, water boxes, tanks, vats, pressure vessels, process equipment, pumps and valves.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Save some for yourself, but sell the rest on ebay, it is worth good money.

This is extremely corrosion resistant wire and you can use it for all kinds of outdoor projects.

I have some monel mig wire also.

Ignoramus31950