Welding cast iron spear to steel picket?

I used old 1" water pipe to build a metal fence and would like to attach some cast iron spear points to the tops. The only one that fits has a solid base and I need to weld or braze or ? Any one know the best way to do this?

Thanks, RO

Reply to
RO

Explain how it "fits" then we can better serve you.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

MIG (wire feed) welding is a lot easier to tack-weld those on, but stick should work with small rod and a quick hand.

Do some practice tacks with scraps to get down your technique, feeds and speeds. Then start on the fence and do the back-side first where nobody will see it, hopefully you'll get enough practice so the front-side welds look a lot better.

And I hope you already know to use a fan at your back and/or stay upwind from the fumes when welding anything galvanized like water pipe

- Zinc Fume Fever is nasty, and there are worse floating around with more exotic metals.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Since no one else has mentioned it, I will. Nickel rod is the best for cast iron. It works quite well for welding cast iron to steel. If you have both stick and MIG, then you might try this: put a "butter pass*" of nickel on the bottom of each spear point, and then MIG it to the pipe. This might produce a neater, less bulky weld.

  • A term I learned from Ernie L.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman