Computer controlled laser pointer

Hi I was looking to find more information on a laser pointer unit. I am developing a system that requires a computer controlled laser pointer.
Being a software engineer, I know nothing about lasers, or on a broader scale, little about electronics in general. Basically I need a device that can meet the following requirements.
* The device is to be computer controlled. I wish to send co-ordinates to the device which would then direct the laser to these co-ordinates.
* The device will be approximately 10 foot above a 10 x 10 foot area.
* A human hand WILL come between the laser and the surface. Exposure to the eye is very unlikely.
* It should be accurate to within 10mm or less and the diameter of the point can be from 1mm to 10mm as long as it is visible.
Ultimately I want to buy a few components, put them together, connect them to my PC and be able to feed them co-ordinates. Apologies for being slightly longwinded or blunt, its just I thought it best to list as much detail as possibly first time round. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Carl Gilbert
Carl Gilbert wrote:

    It sounds like what you need is a set of good quality galvos and a laser graphics system, or graphics interface card, to do the positioning. This type of equipment is available off-the-shelf and some manufacturers even have SDKs so that you can talk to the card directly.     For more information on laser graphics systems and how they work, visit http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.LaserFX.com/Systems/SystemsScanning.html http://www.laserfx.com/Works/Works3S.html http://www.laserfx.com/Works/Works5.html
<note crosposted to alt.lasers where this will be more relevant>
--
+==================== L. Michael Roberts ======================+
This represents my personal opinion and NOT Company policy

the

point

them

best

It sounds like galvos would be massive overkill for this situation, what he should look into are a pair of geared down stepper motors, it's apparent that he just needs to point, not to scan fast enough to draw something. Something could probably be assembled for less than $50 including the laser.

broader

co-ordinates

it

http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.LaserFX.com/Systems/SystemsScanning.html

he

laser.

Wondering if radio control servos would have the repeatability?
Adam
I think it all comes down to his level of expertise. I got the idea that what he wanted was almost a turn-key system, though he could possibly do the software. Anything that requires putting together electronic parts and building drivers would not be appropriate. I agree that the simplest approach would be adequate and stepper motors would work.
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Well if it's $5k for galvos and the nessesary other bits, I'm sure someone out there would be willing to hack together some stepper motors and mirrors with driver boards for a fraction of that.