Computer controlled laser pointer

Hi I was looking to find more information on a laser pointer unit. I am developing a system that requires a computer controlled laser pointer. Being a software engineer, I know nothing about lasers, or on a broader scale, little about electronics in general. Basically I need a device that can meet the following requirements.

  • The device is to be computer controlled. I wish to send co-ordinates to the device which would then direct the laser to these co-ordinates.

  • The device will be approximately 10 foot above a 10 x 10 foot area.

  • A human hand WILL come between the laser and the surface. Exposure to the eye is very unlikely.

  • It should be accurate to within 10mm or less and the diameter of the point can be from 1mm to 10mm as long as it is visible.

Ultimately I want to buy a few components, put them together, connect them to my PC and be able to feed them co-ordinates. Apologies for being slightly longwinded or blunt, its just I thought it best to list as much detail as possibly first time round. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Carl Gilbert

Reply to
Carl Gilbert

It sounds like what you need is a set of good quality galvos and a laser graphics system, or graphics interface card, to do the positioning. This type of equipment is available off-the-shelf and some manufacturers even have SDKs so that you can talk to the card directly. For more information on laser graphics systems and how they work, visit

L. Michael Roberts

It sounds like galvos would be massive overkill for this situation, what he should look into are a pair of geared down stepper motors, it's apparent that he just needs to point, not to scan fast enough to draw something. Something could probably be assembled for less than $50 including the laser.

Reply to
James Sweet

co-ordinates

Wondering if radio control servos would have the repeatability?

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I think it all comes down to his level of expertise. I got the idea that what he wanted was almost a turn-key system, though he could possibly do the software. Anything that requires putting together electronic parts and building drivers would not be appropriate. I agree that the simplest approach would be adequate and stepper motors would work.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Site Info:
Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Well if it's $5k for galvos and the nessesary other bits, I'm sure someone out there would be willing to hack together some stepper motors and mirrors with driver boards for a fraction of that.

Reply to
James Sweet