ventilating blasting cabinet: how?

I got ahold of an old vac motor, and made a cage for it out of perforated metal, and just put two shop vac filters plus the foam precleaner filter on the cage. Been going strong with no signs of problems using aluminum oxide grit in my blast cabinet. I used a 5 gal bucket with snap on lid for the vac container.

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

Hi,

I succeeded in building a blasting cabinet. Now I will (for the beginning of blasting jobs) use iron furnace slag. This is showing to give a great dust in the cabinet. Which is the best technique to take away this 'mist'? Sucking it away with a household vacuum cleaner may work, but is said to destroy the engine of the cleaner soon due to particles penetrating the dust-filter. A professional tool will be beyond budget..

Has any of you blasters a useful suggestion for me?

Thanks a lot! rob

Reply to
robwill2

Ive got a bunch of gortex commercial vacuum bags Id let go cheap, 1 or a couple cases

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

If you live where the dust wouldn't be a problem, simply use a small squirrel cage blower to duct the interior of your cabinet to the outside environment. I've disposed of my blasting dust that way for years. Works great. I use a 4" dryer vent through the wall of my shop, to which I attached, with a mounting block, the blower. Blower size? Something that will move around 100 CFM should work nicely. Keep in mind that you're building a pressure in your cabinet with the air you use, so you have to move more air than you are dumping, otherwise it will still dump dust in your shop. Shop vacs? I've used them, including the one that originally came with my commercial blast cabinet. They're a PIA, what with their restrictive dust filter. Still, when one has no other options, they do solve the problem.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Guys..Ill dig them up this coming weekend and post the specs. Its part of that stuff from the factory that I have. I know I have a couple cases of them, so Ill post the name, model and manufacture along with the dimensions.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 02:51:01 GMT, Gunner pixelated:

Shucks. I was looking for a bag with a 600cfm capability. Hmmm, maybe half a dozen of the suckahs...

I just took a look online to see what was available and found this very, very scary site:

Thanks. See if you can find a rating listed somewhere, hopefully 99.5% of 1/2 micron particles, etc.

Reply to
Larry Jaques