dust collector and separator question

I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector. It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but
it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous. He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have that much space available in my shop.
Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?
Thanks, Alex
BTW I'll be using it on 2"x72" belt grinder.
I just got a 2HP, 1550 CFM Fox Shop dust collector. It has a 6" duct. A guy at the store recommended to add a separator but it must be bigger than a regular trash can or dust will be kept airborne because of high turbulence in a small can volume and won't settle at the bottom making separator work only for bigger heavier dust particles and not for smaller particles which are more dangerous. He recommended at least 55 gallon can. The problem is that I don't have that much space available in my shop.
Does any one tried smaller cans for separator? How does it work?
Thanks, Alex

I have that DC and it works great with a separator lid on a 30 gallon trash can.
HOWEVER.....Please tell me that you are planning on using THIS dc for grinding steel/metal/non-wood stuff!!! That is a good way to set your filter bags on fire.
If it is for grinding wood, you may find that the separator doesn't do a lot for dust....chips, yes, dust not so well.
Mike
Mostly carbon steel and some wood occasionally. I'll be cleaning up bags before switching.

trash
lot
Has anyone tried making a home built wet dust collector? Should eliminate setting the bags on fire. What I'm thinking is attaching the duct from the dust collector to (through) the lid of a 30 gal. (metal) drum. Have another duct from the sander also attached to the drum lid, but extending down inside to about 6" from the bottom of the drum (might need a grate or screen a few inches above it to breakup the incoming air). Fill the drum about 2/3 full of water. Would a 2hp dust collector be strong enough to pull enough air through the water to be useful? Paul

| > | Has anyone tried making a home built wet dust collector? Should eliminate | setting the bags on fire. What I'm thinking is attaching the duct from the | dust collector to (through) the lid of a 30 gal. (metal) drum. Have another | duct from the sander also attached to the drum lid, but extending down | inside to about 6" from the bottom of the drum (might need a grate or screen | a few inches above it to breakup the incoming air). Fill the drum about 2/3 | full of water. Would a 2hp dust collector be strong enough to pull enough | air through the water to be useful? | Paul
Never had a Rainbow vacuum have you? Unless you emptied the tank of muck out after every use, it would grow some shit even bacteriologists have never seen before. I can't even begin to describe the smell. If you fill up a device with water, you've reduced the volume of the container by that much, and unless you have a shower effect or something going on, the sawdust will sit on top of the water, defeating the purpose completely. Then cleaning it out will suck beyond all belief. I think for the effort you could stack a couple 55 gal drums or trash cans to each other and get the increased volume that way. Install the inlet about halfway up and such that the air swirls in the can and it'll settle out well enough. Might also be worth having a smaller can with a prefilter for the stuff that the first separator missed.

eliminate
the
enough
have
for
other
that
Carl, As a matter of fact I do have a Rainbow vacuum, but I think there is a huge difference between how fast things grow in 2 gallons of water in a vacuum (sucking up who know what off your floors) and 20 gallons of water in dust collector for a belt sander. We have a large commercially built wet dust collector (RotoClone) at work that holds about 50 - 60 gallons water that is hooked up to our blasting cabinet and three belt sanders. In the last three years it has only been emptied once to clean out the metal sludge inside and it doesn't smell at all. I think you are missing the point about the water, it is the filter so reducing the volume of the drum isn't an issue. The air from the sander enters below the surface of the water and has to pass through it. The hot sparks get cooled, greatly reducing the risk of setting the filter bags on fire, and most of the dust gets captured by the water and sinks to the bottom instead of going into the cloth filter bags. Cleaning will be a chore as ferrous dust will form into a solid cake at the bottom, but it will take years of home shop use before cleaning is really needed. If it is too much of a hassle to clean, keep the lid, bring the drum to the landfill/recycling center/scrap yard and get a new drum. As for the sawdust sitting on top, the OP said he sands mostly metal so that shouldn't be an issue. He also said he didn't have room for a 55 gal drum. If the OP sands a lot of light metals (like aluminum) a wet dust collector is definitely the way to go since dry dust collectors are not recommended because of the danger of explosions. Paul
You can probably look at your dust collector specs. Most vacuum systems are rated in inches of water for max vacuum and another rating for flow at some lessor inches of water vacuum.
Dan