VFD Q

Can a 3ph VFD output be used to run a 1ph motor, or will it unbalance the output and drive the VFD nuts?

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

The only one that can tell you for sure is the manufacturer. Give them a call. I suspect it will, and if it were mine, I'd give it a try, especially if it were a later model.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No, it can't. It depends on some balance between the 3 line wires. Also, single-phase motors have starting switches that make them poor choices for variable speed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

My mistake, I read it to be a 1 hp motor. I would not try to run a single phase motor off a vfd.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No. What are you trying to accomplish?

Reply to
ATP

In which case -- is the "3ph" above supposed to be "3HP" as well? (Since all VFDs that I know of are 3-phase output, anyway.)

I've got a 7-1/2 HP VFD running a 1 HP motor at the present. There should be no problem running a smaller motor from a larger VFD.

However, if you happened to have what is called a "static convertor" instead, *that* is very sensitive to load horsepower, and it would almost certainly not work properly. (But it also does not have the "variable" part to qualify for the 'V' in "VFD", so I don't think that is what you are talking about.

To minimize the chance of confusion, I tend to use upper case initials for "horsepower", and lower case for "phase"

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols