Vise question

Hi all

I want to make/buy a vise for my workbench. I was thinking about a leg vise but then I started thinking wouldn't it be structurally equivalent to fix a common vise over one of the legs of the bench?. I cut the legs of mine from a 4x5" beam of some heavy wood scavenged from a neighbours' house renovation, so the bench should be heavy enough. Any suggestions?

Reply to
mongke

Haven't seen any 'post' vises for sale lately, but you're right about mounting it over a heavy leg. Just get a good heavy machinist's vise that can take some abuse. You'll never be sorry you spent more on a heavier vise. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

It depends upon what you plan to use the vise for. A "leg" or post vise has jaws that are not parallel, so they are not good at holding things that need parallel support. The reason for the "leg" is so that blacksmiths can pound as hard as they want on the hot parts that are held in the vise. The machinist's vise does have parallel jaws and, although you can probably pound on them, I don't think I'd do it on a regular basis.

Heck, why not have both? Your bench must have more than one leg.

Recently I wrote a product review for a propane-powered leg vise It was quite a machine, but very expensive. I don't even have one myself.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------------

m> Hi all

Reply to
Pete & sheri

A propane powered vice?? This I have got to see!

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:46:55 -0600, the inscrutable "Ken Davey" spake:

Darn, Google doesn't show anything at all for "propane-powered vise", "propane leg vise", "propane vise", or "propane-powered leg vise".

Reply to
Larry Jaques