VW engine / Air Compressor for Sandblasting

Greetings, I just did a search looking for info on converting a VW engine to an air compressor and didn't come up with anything useful.

I am looking for a large air compressor to do some portable sandblasting with and don't have the $13,000 that United Rental wants for a used unit.

The engine doesn't have to be a VW, anything affordable would do.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks Rob Anderson - Tucson

(email has changed to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) (spammers - spam away as I get a 100 a day anyways)

Reply to
Rob Anderson

That's about the highest place to try and buy used equipment in the US. Look under construction equipment on e-bay and you can do much better. I've seen some huge units, ie. 600cfm and larger, go in the range of a couple of thousand bucks.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

There is (was?) a German company that modified VW engines into 4 cylinder air compressors. They are excellent units and produce a high output of high pressure air. Used a couple on a ship for starting air a few years ago. Sorry can't remember the manufacturer.

The units were electrically driven.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Have you seen

Rob Anderson ( snipped-for-privacy@tritronics.com) wrote: : Greetings, : I just did a search looking for info on converting a VW engine to an : air compressor and didn't come up with anything useful.

: I am looking for a large air compressor to do some portable : sandblasting with and don't have the $13,000 that United Rental wants : for a used unit.

: The engine doesn't have to be a VW, anything affordable would do.

: Your input is appreciated.

: Thanks : Rob Anderson - Tucson

: (email has changed to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) : (spammers - spam away as I get a 100 a day anyways)

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I bought a 1989 Leroi 185 CFM diesel at an auction three years ago for $1400. We have had no problems with it. At the same auction a Joy 800 CFM with a rebuilt engine went for $600. It was the annual contractor's auction run by Hunyady.

Reply to
ATP

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:32:15 GMT, Carl Byrns pixelated:

That's probably the link he said wasn't useful. ;)

- The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier. ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques