Waterjet Intensifier Pumps

A discussion came up here at work today (again) about waterjets in general and pumps specifically. We're curious as to what fails in the older hydraulic pumps.

Also, cranshaft pumps are gaining popularity. Here's a photo of one

Does anyone have any idea of the bore/stroke of one of these units?

Reply to
Jon

The bore is fairly small, the stroke is maybe about 1/4 - 1/2" I think. What wears out are the seals, and then you replace the entire pumping assembly. They showed us the kit, it was a bunch of green things that looked like plastic, but may have been a ceramic material. I think what we were looking at was the cylinder, and the piston is pre-fitted inside. It is basically a drop-in cartridge, and they told us it usually took longer to get stuff cleared away from the back of the machine than to actually change the cartridges. Most of their pumps have 3 cylinders, so the kit would have 3 cartridges. I don't recall the price of the kit, but it was under $1000, and you were supposed to get at least a few hundred hours of actual cutting per set, varying somewhat depending on pressure and flow rate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The only intensifiers I worked with were IR Streamlines. Intensification ratio was 41:1 . Water side piston was a solid carbide rod ~1" in diameter. Stroke was 6" or so. Shaft seals and check valves failed most often.

Unlike low pressure hydraulics, there is no such thing as a minor leak with an intensifier. If you find a leak. Fix it now because it will cost you more later.

Wes

Reply to
Wes