welded chain question

Hi all, I was given a few 10' lengths of 1/4" welded chain & wanted to link them together. I WAS going to buy some repair links but was wondering what repair links are the strongest for size.. lap links? quick links? double clevis? etc. Would it be better to simply cut an existing link and re-weld it? Thanks in advance! :-) b

Reply to
bart

Me, I'd leave 'em in 10' lengths, put a grab hook on one end of each, a slider hook on the other end of each, and have as much flexibility as possible that way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What's a slider hook? I can envision one but I've never seen one. And speaking of connecting chains, is there a caribiner that can be used with chain? ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

A grab hook has an opening that is only wide enough for the thickness of one link, so that it fits between two perpendicular links to grab on and bumps into the two adjacent links and won't slide along the chain. More of a narrow slot. Used when you want a loop to stay open, or when you want to keep the angle of pull from a certain direction, or to connect two chains.

A slider or slip hook is one with the opening more open and rounded, such that it will slide along the chain regardless of how the links are oriented. Useful if you want a loop to tighten up around something, or if you just want to hook onto something other than back onto the chain. It's usually what a generic cable or strap hook looks like as well.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Good idea! Longer isn't necessarily better! ;-) Still curious as to what the strongest links are though. Thx! b

Reply to
bart

Double clevis Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Thanks Glenn, it turns out I already have slider hooks and didn't know that's what they were called. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow