Welding intercooler cores

I am trying to weld 6061 and 2024 alloys to my intercoolers, which are of unknown alloy.

I have an OLD Miller Dialarc HF250. I've replaced my Argon to make sure it's clean. I seem to get a white powder on the surface of the aluminum. I'm using 1/8 inch thoriated tungsten because it stands up to the heat generated by my welder. Pure tungsten eventually spatters into the weld.

I have tried pre-heating my parts, but it's difficult to get things really hot. No matter what I try, it seems like I can't get a decent puddle in the intercooler aluminum. Good puddles in the 6061 and 2024 no problem. This intercooler kind of curdles up, and doesn't clean very well. I've almost destroyed the cores trying to get something going.

My last attempt will be to put the cores in an oven at 400 or so degrees for a couple of hours. I don't know, perhaps they've absorbed water, oil, or some other stuff that extended heating will get out.

Any other thoughts?

Reply to
Michalk

Could be there is zinc in the aluminum. And I'd try lanthanated over thoriated tungsten.

Reply to
Eric R Snow
2024 is not recommended for TIG...That may be your problem.

Welding Type Good TIG/MIG 1100, 3003, 5005, 5052, 6013, 6061, 6063

Fair

5086, 6060

Not Recommended

2007, 2011, 2017, 2024, 852.0, 4032, 6020, 7068, 7075, MIC 6, QC-7
Reply to
Sierevello

Thanks. That helps a lot. I can get rid of the 2024, but I still can't see why I can't get a nice puddle on the cores well away from any other material.

I found out they are 6061. I'm going to try putting them in the oven for a couple of hours.

What effect would oil have, even if cleaned off? What about epoxy?

I bought some cleaner. Before I heat them, I'll dunk them in this cleaner. I can't remember the name, but it's a soapy solution specifically for cleaning aluminum before welding.

Reply to
Michalk

Is there some way of identifying these alloys just by looking at them just by performing some simpler test? If not, is there some test to distinguish weldable from not weldable. I will be learning how to TIG aluminum and my practice stock will come from scrap yard.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to