Grinder Spindle

Anyone know the specs for the spindle in the Delta Toolmaker/Surface grinder? I saw some wheel adapters that are for "standard 3" taper per foot grinder spindle", but couldn't find any info on that spindle in Machinery's Handbook. Delta manual says nothing, either.

I can measure the taper on the grinder spindle. Anyone know anything about a standard taper for grinders?

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Sopko is one of the larger manufacturers of adapters. I'd expect to find dimensions in their catalog.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Suggest you buy a Sopko wheel adapter (you probably need one with LH thread) and see if it fits. The taper on my little KO Lee wasn't specified either, and the Sopko ads just said they fit a list of grinders but KO Lee wasn't on the list. I bought it from MSC, which is real good about returns, and it fit, but I stupidly bought RH threads so it would unscrew so I did return it for the right one. Yes, the taper is 3" per foot on most small grinders. I don't know anything about Delta's in particular, but sure, measure it.

By the way, you might want to consider calling Chevalier and buying their wheel adapters. They are cheaper than Sopko and are set up for wheel balancing. I like them. Chevalier has an office in California, as I recall.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks,guys. I checked the Sopko site and found the specs on the taper. The Delta uses a 3" per foot taper as do many of the other machines, but the Delta is slightly smaller - .87" at the large end vs.

1" for the others. I pulled the adapter off and confirmed the spindle measurement.

Making the puller was a whole lot of fun - I started with a piece of snowplow cutting edge from one of the big town trucks. It wasn't hardened, but it sure did work harden when I drilled one of the holes in it. Tried a few different bits - some cut it, some didn't. Even one of the cobalt bits had a tough time. Tapped OK, though, with carbon steel serial taps. Glad I had them in that size - I don't know if I could have done it with a single-pass tap. I should have known that was tough stuff - another piece I got had Kennametal stamped on it and had an inserted edge of carbide or something similar. Although the steel was relatively soft.

The puller was probably a waste of time, as now that the adapter is off it'll probably never stick again, but it meant I didn't have to bang on the spindle with a hammer. Which I really didn't want to do.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin